Post by Sweetgoats - "retained Placenta"

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Feb 12, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok, wow what another night.

My daughter called and said that Hope had her babies, and one was dead. She tried to keep the dog away from the dead one, get Hope in the stall, and take care of the alive baby, all while we were under a HUGE snow storm, that hit about 5 hours early.
    She got Hope in a stall went int the house to get Molasses water for her, and she was going to move the truck over so I could pull in because it was in the middle of the garage. As she started the truck, she heard a thud, thud thud. She just new it was a cat. She said she could not get to the hood of the truck to open the hood, so she figured she was not suppose to see. She went back out to take care of Hope and when Hope turned around, her Placenta was hanging out, and Brenna stepped on it, and ripped it out. She was so upset with herself. First the truck, (she knew in her heart that it was cat), now the placenta.
    I went to the garage to check the truck and I did not see a cat at all, ( I could only get to the drivers side).
    Ok, now we have gotten over 2 FEET of snow in about 1-1/2 hours. We have to take the truck to the High school for my husband to get home. The roads are a nightmare :GAAH: We get in the truck and back out. thud thud thud. I went to the end of the driveway and stopped and waited for my son. I went on and then he stopped. He went out in front of the car, and picked something up, and went to the other side of the road. :mecry: YEP, it was a cat. Now my daughter is a real mess, calling herself a cat murder.

Ok, later I though I would go check on Hope, and her stomach is really moving around. Great is there still a kid inside? Brenna came out with the lube and gloves and I went into Hope and I did not feel another baby but I did feel part of the placenta. Great now what do I do?

Ok, I know some of you are going to say I am not at all right, but I have NEVER given my girls any antibiotics when I go into them and I have never ever had a problem, so my questions to you all is, what kind antibiotics do I give her for a partial retained placenta? :scratch:

We have never lost a baby before, heck we have only lost one goat to cancer in the 8 years I have done goats, so losing two babies in one season, that is just heart breaking to us. Now Hopes dead baby was not totally formed. It had no eyes, the head was no bigger then maybe a tennis ball, and the legs were really thin. He weighted only about 1-1/2 pounds also. So I would guess that Hope was butted and it killed the baby.

Sorry it is so long but wow it has been a rough couple days.

We only have one more to kid, so hopefully all will be fine with her. She is a First timer.

I want to thank you all for listening. That is what I love about this place, I have friends to talk to and that listens too.

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Milking her may help her shed the placenta if there is any hanging out you can tie a damp dish towel to it to help her shed it. I'm not sure what antibiotics to give .Wish I could be of more assistance.(hugs) Im sorry your going through this.

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    You can give her oxytocine to get her to pass the placenta. Ask your vet which antibiotics. I would think something strong like Nuflor. It's one dose, 3cc per 100lb.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you can get access to the remedies Pulsatilla or Sepia, both of those work great for retained placenta. Also, giving her large doses of vitamin C will help her pass it. I agree with morganslil1, if you milk her, it will help to stimulate her uterus.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, thanks.
    Let see, morganslil1, I never thought of that. I know you can kind of tie it in a knot but the problem is it is just a very small amount hanging out, like maybe the size of spaghetti.

I have thought of the V, but that really has to be given within 4 hours, and the cervix has to still be open.
    I will call the vet and just double check. I am really not even sure how much if really any is even still in there.
    Maybe I am just being a little worried for nothing, but she is my baby. SHe is the only bottle baby I have ever had, and she is the one I pulled from mom 20 hours after her brother and sister were born. :tear: :scratch:

goathappy, can you tell me what remedies Pulsatilla or Sepia, are or where I can get it?

Thanks all for your help

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    They are homeopathic remedies, you should be able to get them at a health food store..

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

raspberry leaves work well.
    beth

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beth, I forgot about the Raspberry leaves. I am out of them now I guess that is why I forgot.

OK, Julie. I have to apologies to you. I was told by a friend that has been doing goat fro like 20 years, that you can only give the Oxeytocen (sp), for 4 hours, plus I was with another friend that her doe had retained the placenta and a vet came out and told the same thing. So that is where I received my information. Well I called my goat vet late yesterday and he said to give her 1cc of oxeytocen (Tuesday) night and today (Wed) twice. Along with Excenel I am to give her the Excenel last night, twice today and then once a day for five more days. He said it had to do with the aborted fetus, and the fact that the baby had been dead for a while, and it was sort of rotted in her. He also said to give any goat that aborts oxeytoced.
    Julie he told me that you can use Oxeytocen for 48 hours after kidding but NOT past that. SO again I apologize to you.

9. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    No apologies necessary. I didn't think it was 4 hours, but didn't know the 48 hour mark. We gave to one doe after aborting to make sure everything was out. I'm sure Brad knew that though. haha