The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe kidded monday 2am. Kid only had one hoof and head out. Very little pressure on leg and the kid pulled free. Very healthy. Tuesday moma doe had a very slight limp on front leg. Wednesday limp more evident but still taking care of kid and eating good. Thursday very noticeable limp and did not come out of barn until grain time. Yesterday she would walk normal and then start walking on front knees. By last night she was only walking on her front knees. This morning you could tell she had been on her side for a while. We can get her back end up fine but she will not bring her front legs out from under her. She will eat grain but will not eat hay today. We have to hold her back end up so the kid can nurse but she will not straighten her front legs out. ??????????????Opinions please
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
How old is this doe? What breed?

I've been having a similar problem with a ff. Do you test for CAE? If not, the first thing you may want to think about is Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE). It's a retrovirus (similar to AIDS in humans). That means it's past on by body fluids, most commonly colostrum. The scary thing about the desease is the goat can have it but never show symptons, show one or all as symptoms (arthritis,lymph node swelling, lung problems, reoccuring mastitis, and encephalitis in young kids(brain malfunctions), not show syptoms for years after it's contracted, and their is NO cure for it. It's estimated that WAY over half of US dairy goats are CAE positive. Probably more in dairy goats becuase we tend to feed all our bottle babies milk form just one or 2 does. So if you haven't already go ahead and get a test done on her. http://www.pavlab.com/services/index.html this is where I sent my samples to.

The next thing is a mycoplasma, which could be killed with a strong antibiotic like Tylan. In the mean time some Asprin might help her get on her feet again by helping with the pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,289 Posts
With Cae I thought they wouldn't walk on their knees, at least until later in the disease?

Sounds like founder to me but I don't have a lot of experience. Do you have any banamine? That might help her stand if she is not standing because of pain. Don't give it if she has a low temp since it will take her temp lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Does she have a temperature? I don't know about founder in goats but with horses a retained placenta (or part of it) can bring on founder. If she has a fever, then she could have a uterine infection going on.
Are her hooves OK? Sounds silly but giving birth causes all sorts of problems hormonially so it could make a smaller problem get bad in a hurry.
Also with any doe either pregnant or in milk, I would give some calcium boost as it won't hurt and a lack of calcium causes muscle weakness. The holding up the rear end and lack of appitite rings that bell for me.
Have you treated with anything yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've given her two doses of dextros and one dose of LA 200. Her milk sack is very very warm and now she won't let the baby suck. When you milk her, milk comes out but she acts like it hurts her. Just touching or rubbing it and she acts like it's very painful. We never did see any afterbirth. The next morning we asumed she had passed it and ate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Sounds like mastitis and a retained placenta. I would get her to a vet or find someone in your area that has done a uterine flushto walk you through how to do it. I have never had mastitis but im sure someone can suget to you something for it.

CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
I think that she needs to have the pressure in her udder removed by milking some out. If she has mastitis that will help but it could simply be pressure causing her pain.
But it's hard to know if she has an infection without knowing her temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Retained placenta. We couldn't get ther temp down and the vet feared she was swelling in the brain. After we put her down he performed a necropsy and confirmed the problem. Thanks for all of the opinions.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top