Post kidding bleeding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Apr 28, 2010.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    We were successful our first year of kidding out our goats. We did not have any problems during kidding. One of our mommas, just over a year old, has been bleeding a little from the rear end for about a couple of weeks now. Doesnt bleed much maybe a little every other day or so. She was a small goat and had a rather small kid. Momma doesnt seem to have any adverse side effects and has been playing, eating and milking just fine. I thought maybe she was just torn a little bit or was having some minor issue, but really didnt think about it too much since she seems to be acting healthy. My wife on the other hand wanted me to figure out what was going on. We live in an area where there are no goat vets whatsoever, so taking to a vet is not an option. Any ideas?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    This is perfectly normal for them to bleed for a few weeks after kidding, they are cleaning out all the stuff in their uterus basically :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ditto -- quite normal

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she is acting.... eating normal and has no foul odor from the discharge...and not dripping blood alot like a fauset...I would say... she is still cleaning out.....Does will do that... for several weeks after kidding...it is normal.... :wink: :hug:

5. Yea you will get this a while, agreed normal.

6. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses. I did think it would be normal, however, wanted to make sure since my wife wasnt as confident as I was.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :wink: :thumb: