The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again-
This doe kidded yesterday with a very large single, but unfortunately it was a breech and the kid did not make it.
I am attaching a photo, but her vulva is very swollen and there is a foamy discharge from her anus. I haven’t seen anything like this before.
I couldn’t find the afterbirth or anything else that she dropped, so she either has eaten it within the past 24 hours or she hasn’t dropped it yet.
She has free choice to hay and we gave her some grain, and she will eat. We have not wormed her or given her other boosters. She won’t stop talking and it looks as if she’s uncomfortable.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don’t know if these photos will help any. Poor lady keeps licking me and making little goat noises.
We’ll call the vet tomorrow but she seems to be in distress, so was wondering if this is an immediate issue

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Don’t know if these photos will help any. Poor lady keeps licking me and making little goat noises.
We’ll call the vet tomorrow but she seems to be in distress, so was wondering if this is an immediate issue
View attachment 206988 View attachment 206989
Aw, poor girl. It sounds like she’s missing her kids... Nothing to actually worry about, though it’s hard to see them grieve.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Ranger1
:( I think that may be part of it. She got extra snuggles tonight.

I caught her reaching around to her udder so I milked her some as it was pretty full and tight.

@ksalvagno
She’s a nigerian dwarf, so she would be too small to reach in directly to look for another kid. Although belly size doesn’t really determine if she has another kid, she did look pretty empty when I saw her this morning.
Would the kid’s size have affected how it looks? Like stretched it? It was a gigantic kid in comparison to her, and at first we almost had a C-section.
We’ll ask about an ultrasound tomorrow.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
Oh no! That looks as though there is a kid and or bubble right there! Have you checked with your fingers at least to see if you can feel anything? If there is a kid in there. You need to get it out or else your does life could be in danger!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No banamine or anything else- he basically just said to watch her and milk her colostrum.
She’s two, but she’s still very small. She doesn’t come past my knee, and I’m short.

This is how she looked today; I think it went down some (?) and I poked in there to see if there was anything pressing against it. I couldn’t find anything, but then again there could be something farther back as I didn’t stick my whole hand in.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,703 Posts
We called the vet and they said she should be fine if she’s acting fine. She’s been alright and back to her normal self so hopefully that means she’s recovering well!
That is very good! If I were you i would be giving her warm molasses water for a few days and be giving her probiotics. Also I would give a vitamin B shot :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts