Post Sore Mouth Question

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by moonspot, Mar 4, 2014.

1. moonspot

moonspot New Member

Mar 4, 2014
    So I purchased a couple goats and a couple days later they had sores appear around the mouth/lips. The vet positively identified it as sore mouth. We quarantine new goats for at least several weeks before introducing them into our herd, so hopefully the fence separating them from the herd is enough. My question is, once you have had something like this, how do you move forward as far as breeding and selling goats and even using the milk? How do you know when it is safe to drink the milk again?

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Sore mouth shouldn't affect any breeding or selling that I know of. If you tell me that you've had sore mouth in your herd when I'm looking to buy it won't matter one little bit. It is NOT like CAE or CL. No one is going to care (unless you have an active infection going and are trying to sell) I don't think it affects the milking at all. Once the infection is cleared and any meds you have used are out of the body, use the milk.

3. Everfree

Everfree New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    I agree. You'll just want to close your herd temporarily until the infection runs it's course through your herd.

Everfree Farm
    Kiko and Nubian

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The best thing to do is to take what you read about something goat related with a gain of salt. Ohh gosh I remember my first sore mouth and reading about it and I got under the impression that its the bad bad thing. Its really not anything more then a pain in the butt. Your kids may not grow as well while having it because they don't want to eat. That is the #1 thing I hate about it. I have sore mouth in my herd my friend does not and she buys a lot of my kids. With her I make sure it runs its course before she get them. The only thing that you want to watch in case it goes to your whole herd....which it has a good chance is to watch any of your older goats. I bought some older does from a lady that doesn't have sore mouth and they got it and it seemed to really take a toll on them. They all lived and did just fine it just seemed instead of a few scabs it was all over their mouth.

5. moonspot

moonspot New Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I've been panicking and freaking out for a few days now. I kind of felt like giving up on goats over this. My family depends on the milk so to have this happen is a real disappointment. Our herd is separated by a fence from the new goats, so hopefully they won't get it. We have several due to kid in the next couple weeks. Has anyone ever heard of burning the ground to eliminate possible future exposure? I know the virus is said to be environmentally resistant, so I didn't know if this would be worth it or not.

6. springkids

springkids New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    North Carolina
    I agree completely with Jessica84. We had our first case last spring and I was devastated. The more I read online the more I freaked out. Some of goats got it and some did not.
    I always tell people that are buying an animal from my herd that we have had it. I've never had it to be a problem selling an animal but I don't want someone to get it for the first time and think I was being dishonest or hiding something from them about the animal they bought.
    The only other thing is sometimes if a nursing kid has sore the mom can get them on her udders. This makes her udders very tender. We learned to keep a good bag balm and triple antibiotic ointment on hand at all times.

7. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I have heard it is kind of like chicken pox in people. Once you get it, you cannot get it again, or you have less of a chance. Is this accurate to say?

8. moonspot

moonspot New Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I had thought the same thing, about them not getting it again. The vet said while usually they develop an immunity, there is always the chance of recurrence. She also said that most likely we will have to deal with it every year at kidding time because the kids could possibly pick it up from the environment. Any thoughts from anyone experienced in dealing with it over the years?

We bottle feed our kids so thankfully the kids don't have it and the only signs so far are on the doe's mouth/lips. Udders and body look great.

9. cteague

cteague New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Just be sure to wash ur hands and clothes good if u touch them. It is zoonic. And people can get it. Just use gloves should u handle them and wash.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Goat Forum mobile app