The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the time you have spent in answering my questions. This is regarding my Nubian that the breeder said has had scours since birth. She is a year and a half old now. She visited the vet when we brought her home at a year. He said cocci counts and worm counts were too low to worry about treating.

We have followed everyone's advice. She has had antibiotics, pumpkin, slippery elm, baycox, valbazen, probios and herbal dewormers over the last 6 months. I have taken her off grain. Our situation does not work to take her off of grass.

Anyway, she continues to scour. I just wanted to run one last fecal before making any decisions about getting rid of her, and the test shows giardia is present, the coccidia count is 1325/g, and the trychostrongyle count is 575/g. No evidence of crypto. From what I am reading, these numbers are not very high. What do you think? What would you do if this were your goat? Her runny poo is everywhere, and not only is it inconvenient, but worse, creates a really dirty environment for the babies and the rest of the group, if I am not constantly scooping things up.

Thanks for the advice, one last time ...

·
Super Moderator
59,335 Posts
I would definitely treat her for the giardia. Have you treated her with something like scourhalt for bacterial problem?

When you treated for worms and coccidia, how much and for how many days did you treat her?

Have you tried GI Soother from Fir Meadow and done the more aggressive dosage?

·
Registered
31,075 Posts
Giardia would make sense...it would lead to malabsorptive diarrhea... I hope she heals for you..unfortunantly from what I read Giardia left untreated too long can lead to permament diarrhea...:confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am new to all of this - glad you all are here to tell me if I got it right!

She had di-methox injectible 40%, given orally for five days in a row, the first day at 11 cc, and the remaining days at 5.5 cc. This was in June, for the coccidia.

In July, I dosed her with Valbazen the first time with 3.5 ml. Looks like I read that I needed a higher dose, because my notes say that I gave her 8.6 ml three weeks later. This would be to treat worms and giardia both, correct? She had a dose a Baycox, 14cc, in between those Valbazen doses.

She has also been treated with Neomycin, 2ml twice a day, for 4 days. No difference.

I have been giving her the Fir Meadow GI soother. She has received a 1 T dose in the morning, and the same in the evening. No difference. Now that school has started, we're home, and I should try giving her the hourly dose I'm seeing on the package. I'd just really love a miracle for this little doe.

What do you think about the meds and dosages she received? Should I redo anything?

Thank you!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And no, I haven't done scourhalt. Not familiar with that, but I'll look it up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,075 Posts
Sounds like you are doing everything you can for her...to treat giardia its recommended to use Valbazen...or safe guard...

this link talks about the damage Giadia can do ..its a dog and cat article but covers the basics
http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/zoonoses/gik9fel/giardia.html

You might want to test for Johnes disease as well..just to rule it out...
another thing Im thinking of is Cocci...If she had a severe case when young the damage and scaring done to her intestines could also lead to malabsorptive diarrhea...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too. I keep thinking there just must be a way to fix her up.
I did have her tested for Johnne's back in the spring. The test came back negative, thank goodness.

Do you all agree that the cocci and worm count are on the low side? If you saw those numbers (1325/g cocci and 575/g trychostrongyle) in a healthy goat, would you be treating it?

Do you all agree that I should give her scourhalt for the giardia, along with the Valbazen? I dosed with Valbazen yesterday, and will do it again in a week. Anything else I should do?

Can I give her Baycox again, while she is in the middle of the Valbazen treatment, or would you wait?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
59,335 Posts
Scourhalt won't help Giardia. You would be doing that to try and cover all bases.

It has been a long time since I have looked at numbers. I would probably treat since she has diarrhea problems. She may be one that needs treatment even when egg counts are low.

I would also try giving the GI Soother hourly. That is the one problem I see with herbs, you have to give it very frequently when there is a problem. Not always convenient.

Since you have already given the Valbazen, I would probably go ahead and do Baycox.

·
Registered
31,075 Posts
I wouldnt over treat with too many worming meds at once...her Body has been treated quite a bit and allowing time for meds to do their job with out over lapping is best.
Valbazen should be given three ays in a row..then stop...
I would add Vit B 12 or B complex PLUS which has plenty of 12 in it...
daily Probios
If after she is not improved then I would try Baycox..(maybe 1-2 weeks break)

·
Registered
31,075 Posts
Karen made a good point....the runs warrent treatment even if the numbers dont seem as high as some...with that I would do the Valbazen 3 days in a row then on day four do Baycox....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So glad to have you amazing goat women here to help me! OK, round two of Valbazen, coming up...
and the Fir Meadow is happening hourly. She likes it in the little Molly's dosage balls, so it's not a pain to give, as long as we're home.

Another question - I was just visiting with a local breeder, and she was adding an off-brand of Sulmet to the drinking water. She said she treats this way for coccidia (for four days in the drinking water) when the weather starts to cool in the beginning of fall, and then again when weather starts to warm in the spring. Is this something you all do?
I have the Baycox to treat problems when I know about them, but I am a little scared of the stories I've heard where the goat is fine in the evening, and then is dead from an unsuspected case of cocci by morning.

·
Registered
31,075 Posts
It's hard to be sure everyone's getting what they need by adding it to water. Plus if they just get a little the cocci. Can become resistant to the meds. I would rather treat with baycox once or twice to be sure the worms are taken care of.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cathy, I hope this isn't too repetitive - we've talked baycox before. Anyway, my understanding was that you only treat when you actually see the cocci, but then, we were talking about newborns. Is your "once or twice" treatment with baycox a seasonal treatment during the year?

·
Super Moderator
59,335 Posts
I used to treat my alpacas with Corid in the drinking water every spring and fall. It did work for them. It was their only source of drinking water. But with the goats I have only been treating when they have a problem.

·
Registered
31,075 Posts
Cathy, I hope this isn't too repetitive - we've talked baycox before. Anyway, my understanding was that you only treat when you actually see the cocci, but then, we were talking about newborns. Is your "once or twice" treatment with baycox a seasonal treatment during the year?
I use Baycox when kids are 3 weeks old before symptoms...then I dont re dose unless there is indication of cocci..either through fecal or if the goat begins with the dark muddy runs..if you have a goat with symptoms then its treat twice 10 days apart..
Baycox works different then sulfa drugs...so the re-treatment you might do with a sulfa drug like Sulmet or Dimthox is not needed..Baycox kills all stages of the worm life cycle. Some will repeat dose every 10 days until 3 months old..I rather dose once before symptoms then only when needed.
You cant see cocci with the naked eye like tape worms...so if we see the worm in thepoop its Tape and needs a different medication..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts