The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, regarding a three month old Nigerian Dwarf doeling, whether it's acceptable for her to have a slight pot belly. Is this an age where they start to fill out a bit, or is she eating a bit too much of some kind of food or another? She has alfalfa hay, as much of a sweetened grain/pellet blend as she can steal from her mama at milking, and lush, green herbaceous plants available (she doesn't seem interested in those wild greens, though). Also loose mineral. She's active and seems not to have a care in the world, but as a first-time goat owner I tend to worry about things. :roll:
If you can educate me a little, thank you!

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
She sounds ike she is building a nice healthy rumen..you can post pix and we can be sure....but as long as its not hard and raised ont heleft side more than right (bloat) and if she is eating drinking pooping and peeing bright eye and alert I bet she s fine...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I do agree with happybleats thats most likely going on, but also want to let you know tape worms cause pot belly as well :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I have to scoot out the door right now, but I will try posting pictures in the morning. Her belly is compressible-soft like a teddy bear's, and the same on both sides. Mama has such a...maternal...figure that I can't use her as any sort of guide!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts