The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so a couple weeks ago one of my pygmy nannies got down and very sick and died. She had twins back in July and they had already been eating grain. So after she died they would not take a bottle so I just watched them and noticed my lil female was starting to look sickly so I started doctoring her and her brother they both seem a little anemic so I'm treating with complex b12 and red cell I am also giving them probiotic paste daily along with some sweet feed. I have wormed them also. They seem to be perking up and are eating great and pooping fine my question is what would cause their tummies to be so big? It just looks like they are pot bellied I figured it could be from not getting moms milk and transitioning to grass and feed so soon. They were born July 11th.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
You really need to have a fecal test done which also includes coccidia. Take a poop sample from both goats into your vet office and have it tested. Make sure the vet also tests for coccidia.

·
Registered
30,617 Posts
IM SORRY YOU LOST MOM : (
Fat bellies that feel soft and bouncy could be a good rumen building..I would trade the sweet feed for pellet feed made for goats, There is a milk pellet you can add to their feed to give a bit of what they missed from mom. Sweet feed is like candy..too much sugar and thing they dont need like corn. Although grainis important to growing kids, Graze, hay/alfalfa should be their main food..loose minerals free choice...be sure its for goats so the copper is in proper amount..
I would also have a fecal done to be sure your wormer is working..include a cocci test...worms can cause bloated bellies as well and with them being abit anemic, this could still be an issue..
here is a link for a chart to grade the eye color
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UjW_jmSDTL8

·
Registered
30,617 Posts
Note: Be sure to make all food changes slowly...adding a bit of the new to the old and fade the old out over a weeks time or so...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Assuming the fecal comes back negative for worms and coccidia, sounds like they have a case of hay belly. It is a common condition is bottle babies and kids that have been, for whatever reason, weaned earlier than usual. A young animal cannot eat enough hay, grass, browse to support their growth and they need a concentrated source of protein, vitamins, minerals, etc. to do that. If they were mine, I would transition them off the sweet feed in favor of a good, 16-18% goat grower pellet that is highly palatable. Start them out at about 1/4 pound and work them up to 1 or maybe 1 1/2 pounds per day/per animal depending on their size (not familiar with pygmy's, so I'm not sure what an appropriate amount of pellets would be for them), split into 2 feedings. Monitor them and adjust as needed. I hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts