Pot gut billies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 13, 2017.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I have posted these guys before and I am not sure still if I have a problem or not. I hope photos will load. They have had their sulmet prevention twice, about a month apart. Their fecal came back barber pole worms. They have had cydectin, 10 & 10 dosing, completed last week. They are still pot gutted. They are around 4-5 months old now. Someone said vitamin b complex. I can do this, this weekend . What are your other thoughts. Pics attached I hope. IMG_20170713_171844411_HDR.jpg IMG_20170713_171844411_HDR.jpg IMG_20170713_171922462.jpg IMG_20170713_171844411_HDR.jpg IMG_20170713_171922462.jpg

2. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Don't know how I posted the pics twice. Sorry

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I'd probably try GI Soother from Fir Meadow. They look awfully big. The GI Soother will help with stomach issues and certain parasites.

4. Boer goat27

Boer goat27 Member

Jun 30, 2017
    hopkinsville ky
    Some boers just look like the swolled a side was football we have one that looked great when the kids showed her now she looks like that until she is breed. You can try top dressing with baking soda on her feed or feed more roughage. If she was a bottle baby you can try everything under the sun and it will never go away in that case it is because the rumnea does develop like it should on bottled milk.

spidy1 likes this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would run another fecal on them and see if they still have an issue. If so, I would use another class of wormer

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    They do look really skinny.

I agree, get a fecal for worms and cocci to see where they are at.

Are their guts that big in the morning before they go eat throughout the day?

What are they being fed?

catharina likes this.
  7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I was feeding some sweet feed with beet plup, now alfalfa pellets and beet pulp. They will not eat much. I keep them on grass during the day and feed hay and the pellets in the evening.

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    That looks like bloat to me. How long have they been like that?

9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    They may have a hay belly if they graze on a dry lot.

Don't give too much beet pulp, it can expand the belly. It is only should be fed in small amounts.
    Sweet feed isn't the best for them either, which has molasses in it.

11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I have cut out the sweet feed, but they don't care much for the alfalfa pellets. It is almost like they just don't care for it. I just don't know what to feed them. They are on pasture grass and hay in the evening. They would eat a little of the sweet feed, but I have stopped it.

12. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    AZ
    if they are big only after they eat, that can be a normal healthy rumen bottle kids are known to get it, my buck was a bottle baby and he is huge...he is no where near as big as normal in this pick...his son is starting to look the same, but he is not a bottle kid, it could be just his parentage boys.jpg

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Do their bellies get smaller by morning? When they haven't eaten?

14. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    AZ
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    It is normal healthy rumen fill throughout the day, so no worries. ;)

16. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Did a fecal, came back showing barber pole worms and 1 cocci. Vet said to retreat with cydectin and will go from there. Said cocci was ok. I am not sure if I am to do it again in 10 days or just do a fecal only in ten days.they we're just give their last dose of Cydectin about 12 days ago. I hope it is not resistance building up.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    If you already did Cydectin, I would use a different cocci treatment. If the count is high. If it is in a safe count don't treat just monitor them with periodic fecals. For prevention cocci meds are given every 21 days.

Barber pole worms need treatment right away.
    Here is a good read:
    http://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/barber-pole-worms.151978/