potatos

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citygoat, Mar 30, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    We are making a stew and have a bunch of potato and onion peelings. is it ok to give these to my goats?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the potatoes wont hurt them but I doubt they will even touch them. My goats turn their noses up to potatoes.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Raw potatoes are suppose to be bad for goats so do not give them raw potatoes. Cooked I'm not sure, I don't give my goats food scraps.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    where did you hear that they are bad? and why?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have always heard that potatoes along with tomatoes are poisenous. Onions im not sure about, but they are poisenou to dogs. i cant imagine them being good for goats.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Tomatoe are not poisonous, maybe the plants are but the actual fruit isn't. I know because i feed it ot my goats all the time in the summer.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    My father in law fed his goats all kinds of vegetable scraps and they never got sick.....they loved tomatoes and potato peelings.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Potato tops(as in the plant) is poisonous and I think the same goes for tomato plants. I'm pretty sure potatoes and tomatoes themselves aren't poisonous.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I believe that is what it is. Some how that information is what rings a bell

10. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Hi, What i have read green potatos are poisonous. & also tomatos are meant to be. I have gave my goats scraps in the past and it didnt hurt them though.. But since I read that, i was never game to feed them scraps again.

Google it.

Take care.

11. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    well they loved the onions. but wouldn't touch the potatos.

12. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Some say potatos some say potatoes...

I do believe tomatoes and potatoes are members of the nightshade family and the plant itself is poisonous. The fruit/tater isn't poisonous. Of course, don't feed any potatoes with green spots, sprouts or anything that looks... odd.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    google doesn't know everything - experience is what I go by.

I have fed mine tomatoes for 12 years, no issues and never read about them being poisonous.

Mine get scraps from everything almost every day in the spring and summer. Makes for very happy goats :D

14. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    well... all depends what you read on google... Some scraps would be fine to feed them and make them happy im sure... but others are not..
    just make sure your doing what you think is best for your goats..
    :wave:

my chickens & ducks get the scraps...