Potential Coccidia, Need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rascal66, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    My young buckling(5 months) has been having Diarrhea for the past 5 days now. I thought he was scouring but even after giving him just hay and mineral, it hasn't changed. Its like a pudding consistency.

I've only had Kikos for about 2 1/2years now. Never had an issue with Coccidiosis but now I think its apparent that my young kids are coming down with high levels. I have another young doeling whos poop is becoming a bit soft. (Not quite diarrhea, but more clumped together, not even pelleted.)

I have no experience with Coccidia in goats. I was trying to get a fecal to my vet yesterday but had issues with transportation.

I'm worried now because the vet is closed till monday, and my buckling is becoming weak. He's eating and drinking but he sits for long periods now. When I was able to try to collect a fecal, he just isn't even popping as much anymore, unless I keep missing it.

I just purchase a bottle of 9.6% corid at tractor supply, along with a vitamin B12, Thaimine paste that also comes with probiotics just to have in hand.

Any advice on what to do now? I'm afraid his time is running really short. I just want to help him somehow asap.

How can I dose him? I'm also not 100% its coccidia, but I have a gut feeling it is.

Alsoooo, i bought some medicated goat and sheep feed, to feed as a maintenance for the kids after these episodes. Thoughts?

Thank you.

2. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Get electrolytes and put it in all the water buckets of your goats who have symptoms. Give probios.

Don't give the thiamine with the Corid, if you want you can give it after the course of treatment is completed.

I would treat all your kids that are kept together or come in contact with each other. Also try your best to clean any soiled areas you see. I'd also send a fecal as soon as possible but start treatment immediately.

Medicated feeds are not usually preferred because you are never sure if they are eating too much or too little and they can potentially help promote parasite resistance (think of what happens when people misuse antibiotics, same thing with medicated feeds).

3. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I used Corid during my first coccidia outbreak, I switched to Toltrazuril afterwards since I didn't like the thiamine inhibition and I didn't like the multiple day dosing. I have to say Corid did work for me. I directly drenched each kid with the correct Corid dose (I used the premixed liquid kind)

This is copied and pasted from tothboergoats.
    Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
    Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
    Or the Pre mixed- Shake well before use.
    solution give as follows
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    3.75cc per 12.5 lbs
    treat individually for 5 days

20% Powdered mixture: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
    Mix solution well. Shake well before use.
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5cc per 25 lbs
    3.75cc per 12.5 lbs
    and so on

toth boer goats and Rascal66 like this.
  4. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Thank you for this info!

Would you know, if the 9.6% is already diluted? I didn't notice them having the powder in stock. Its what I have on hand right now. Can I treat it as an undiluted kind?

I wanna treat today..

5. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    I just got back from the store, and currently don't have a means of going back at this moment. ;(

The tube I bought had the probiotics, but its not an electrolyte is it? Ahh I just wanna treat.

Also, I'm not sure what "drench" means?

6. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Add 6 tablespoons CoRid to 16 ounces water

cristina-sorina likes this.
  7. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Your goats need electrolyte water to help with the dehydration that can be caused by scouring! Do you have any Gatorade? Children's Pedialyte? Clear corn syrup, salt and baking soda?

Drench means putting a liquid down the back of an animals throat with a drenching syringe. Insert tube of drencher into corner of mouth, slide the tube over the back of the tounge, with the curve pointing downward. Do not hold the head straight up. Slowly and steadily press the plunger to give the medication. Stop if the goat starts to choke and/or cough until it passes, then continue until all the drench is given.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Good advice all. I’d like to add that I’ve seen multiple people now say they just thought something was “scours.”

Scours is a symptom of a problem, not a cause. If your goat gets “scours” they could have a multitude of problems, the problem they have is not called, “scours.” It is just a term for diarrhea in goats, and it always has a cause.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The liquid is already diluted. Don't add water to liquid Corid.

Rascal66 likes this.
  10. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    As a drench 5-Day treatment: add 3 fl oz CORID 9.6% Oral Solution to 1 pt of water and, with a dose syringe, give 1 fl oz of this drench solution for each 100 lb (45 kg) body weight (1 fl oz = 29.57 ml)

These are dosage amounts given for using it undiluted: 5-Day Treatment Protocol - Daily Dosage: 10mg amprolium/kg (10 mg per 2.2 lb body weight)

***** Is there a dosing chart and/or conversion methods that could be provided for ease of use when suggesting Corid be used full strength?

Use directions: There are 96 mg of amprolium in every 1 ml of CORID 9.6% Solution.

These are the directions off of the label for the 9.6% Oral Solution.

Have tried to unsuccessfully post a picture of this label, not allowing me to complete the function at this time. [Complication resolved photo below.]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Rascal66 likes this.
  11. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    IMG_20190728_095436_hdr.jpg

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  12. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Scours and/or Diarrhea can be caused by viruses, bacteria, parasites, toxins, congenital problems or various nutritional reasons. Source: ag extension

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

That is not diluted as indicated on the bottle, when it states to mix with water or put it into their drinking water.
    I do not recommend putting it into their drinking water.
    I treat individually for 5 days.

Do not give thiamine of any kind while treating with corid.

Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
    Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
    Or the Pre mixed- Shake well before use.
    solution give as follows
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    3.75cc per 12.5 lbs

Rascal66 and NigerianNewbie like this.
  14. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    How's your little guy doing today? How are your other goats?

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. Rascal66

Rascal66 Member

Feb 7, 2019
    USA
    Hey guys, sorry for lack of update.

My main little buckling got really weak on me, so he had a vet trip. Fecal said he had lung worm, strongyles, a couple others i couldnt rememvber the name and coccidia. Vet gave him ivermectin and something equivalent to Panacur. I treated the rest of my sick kids with the same. All did improve and get better, but still have diarrhea. Vet was sure that it would take care of the coccidia when I asked, and sure enough now I'm giving them albon. How irritating! At least they are doing much better now. I'll continue with a final update once everyone is in the clear.

Maybe next time I'll use corrid if I can't get albon quick enough.

toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.