The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was brushing the girls and when I went over the portion in the picture circled, Echo did not like it. So I put my hand on it and it seems to be off a bit from her other side and her sister - maybe swollen or a bit of fluid in it? Looking at her, you couldn't see anything really abnormal. She's always been a sometimes heavy breather, but when I saw that and then was thinking about, started freaking out a bit and thought oh my god, she's punctured a lung!!! Cause that's where my mind goes! But I really don't think that's it, I don't think it's an emergency, but I called the vet and they are coming out Monday - wanted them to do their feet as the one's getting wonkier than normal.

Has anyone seen this before? The pictures were taken on Monday, I'll take another one when I go out in a bit. The one with both - Echo is the one in the background, the one with no brown on withers.

Kelly

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No shots. Nothing in that area to make me think of a foreign object or body that caused it or is in it - no cuts, no scratches. Could it be a hematoma from them headbutting?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm going to just keep watch. She's out there walking around in the pasture eating with her sister, no limping or favoring of that side. Hopefully as I read up on them, it'll spontaneous leave....or not get worse till Monday when the vet is here. Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vet was just out, Echo didn't flinch when she touched the sides. I was thinking later that maybe it's just fat and the vet did say they could lose a couple pounds. So no injury, no worries. Tomorrow starts them going down to 1/2 cup of grain or less in the morning. They were on 1 cup. I figure I'll always give them some, just so we don't hate each other, but they'll be fine with less.

To make it worthwhile, had their hooves trimmed and Echo's seems to be more of a conformation issue than bad trimming on my part. So we'll keep at it. They also got their shots, so fingers crossed, all is good till next year!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
When I first saw this post the other day my first thought was "that's just fat, looks like a plump and happy goatie!". Glad the vet didn't find anything concerning. Less grain sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: friesian49
1 - 9 of 9 Posts