Potsie Kidded!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Tyler, May 24, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Potsie kidded this morning (I'm thinking from between 6:30 and 7:30)! Three kids (One's a doe, I'm not sure about the others yet). I'll post some pictures as soon as I can! :)

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Congrats on the new kids! Can't wait to see pics! :stars:

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    CONGRATS!!! :clap:

4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Emergency! Two of the kids aren't strong... they can hardly even raise their head. What do I do? :?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is the weather warm ?
    Do the kids have cold mouths..?

I hope you have a 6cc or 12cc syringe...milk some colostrum into the syringe and give it slowly to the one kid....give it at the back corner of the mouth slow so you won't drowned the kid make sure the head is level.....at the same time...stick your pointing finger in the kids mouth , just a little ways.....so that ...as you are slowly plunging the colostrum in which ...plunge stop.....plunge stop...slowly...move you finger back and forth a little to stimulate the kid to suck...... the kid should start sucking on your finger and associating it with the colostrum....thinking.. it is momma's teat.....
    repeat and do this with the other kid to..............
    Let the kids rest for an hour than...go back out ....then introduce them to mom's teat....you may have to do the procedure... like I had taught you before....If the kids can't stand ....then....you will have to physically hold the kids up....to nurse.....if they don't have the suck reflux then.....feed with syringe......but keep trying

give them a shot of bo-se 1/4 to 1/2 cc .....nutra drench......vit b

6. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    yes.

yes.

The kid isn't swallowing.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They need some BoSe like Toth said and you need to get temps on them. I would give them a bit of Whiskey, karo, coffee mixture also.

8. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I don't have BoSe, whiskey, or karo.

What do you mean by "get temps on them"?

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Temperature is what I meant. Do you have a thermometer?

If you don't have karo then do you have molasses or sugar? Do you have any kind of liquor?

If you don't have BoSe then you can get selenium and vitamin E pills at the store and give them a bit of that.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As ...RunAround said .........get there temps... do it rectally...........if there temps are sub temp..anything under 101.5 is considered sub....you must warm them up....and get them up to a regular temp .......take them inside .....put them in a small trash bag.....with there heads peaking out of the bag and submerse the bag into warm water....the kid will remain dry....not to hot though.....but warm enough to get there temps up....and back to normal......periodically keep checking the temp ....if it is back to normal.....try to feed the kid again.......they will need selenium and vitamin E pills .....if you can get bo-se that would be really good ....sounds like they really need it.... good luck :pray:

11. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Well, one kid is doing much better (she can hobble to her feet, and seems to have more energy), and the other one died (the one that my last two posts were talking about).

Thanks for all y'all's help! :)

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh Tyler that is so sad.....I am sorry for your loss...... :hug: :(

So........ the other one....... is doing ok and got some colostum ? :pray:

13. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Yes. I've help her nurse, and I saw her nibble at the udder on her own, too. :)

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is wonderful news.......congrats ... :leap: :wahoo: :hug:

You can buy some bo-se at your vets....it's great to have on hand for future use......when you have weak kids ....or kids that have crooked legs.... it will help straighten there legs. ...and at times....keep them alive..... :wink: :greengrin:

15. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    The weaker of the two kids disappeared. I looked all around the barn very carefully, but never found her. I wasn't sure if maybe the nannie hid her, or something. Does this happens much?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you look in or under buckets boxes anything ..........I have had one get into a container and somehow flip in over ....trapping themselves....listen for any weird sounds...sometimes though they do not make any sounds...watch the other goats... and see ...if they are looking in a certain direction.....keep looking......If the kid is left to long under a bucket in may suffocate or overheat... from the sun baking on the bucket..... Also check to see if the kid walked through your fence....got out.....momma should... start calling for her baby.....if this happens.. the kid may return the call :hug: Kids love to get into things to sleep....check in feeders and under feeders

how long has it been gone?

17. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Yes.

I noticed it this afternoon.

I also just noticed something with the other kid. It's manure is in the form of a not too thick, but not too thin either, yellow discharge (about the same consistency as an egg yolk). I didn't notice this with any other kids, so it kinda' concerns me.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hate to ask this....did you check in water troughs? :worried:

If the kid went through the fence.....Do you think someone stole the kid?
    Is your place next to a busy road?

As for the light scouring.....give some pepto bismol....
    sounds like milk scours starting......it's should correct quickly.....

19. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    No, I didn't. I wouldn't think that that option is possible, since the water trough was a good ways away from where the kid was.

I highly doubt it. Our road only gets a lot of traffic at 8:00 in the morning and 4:30 in the evening (we live a mile from Rainbow Resource Center, and our road is a main road to the warehouse), but I know all the people that work there, and none of them would steal a kid (most all of them are city slickers, anyhow).

Would any stomach relief medicine work (I don't have any pepto bismol)? How would I get the kid to take it?

20. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I found the kid....

We're taking care of some friend's donkeys while they are moving. It's a mare and her yearling. The yearling has never had any behavior training, and is quite the scamp. From the looks of it, the yearling started "playing" with the kid, and stomped him to death. The sooner he leaves the pasture, the better....