The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my babies over to whole cow's milk from the grocery store. Hubby asked me if powdered milk was ok to use (we are going through a lot of milk) because it might be cheaper to go with the powdered. I told him I didn't know, so I'd ask. (I don't know if we'd save money this way or not, but I have to ask because I told him I would.)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Im sure you would save money, but I have yet to have one on powder that didnt get the runs and turn out like crap. I have heard people say nothing but good things about powdered milk, but I have a boy that needs a bottle he is sold, a girl that I want to keep she gets milk from the store. If you do go with powdered milk change over as slowly as you can, the slower the better :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have used the advantage brand, and the does match from land o lakes.... I didn't have a problem, and I have bottle fed 5 so far... The thing I did to eliminate the runs completely is I put probiotic powder in the 1st bottle of the day, and then I would also crush up a lactaid pill for the first bottle of the day. I'm not sure if was cheaper but I paid about 22 bucks for 8 lbs. If you do end up switching I would switch over slowly..:)

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
If you are talking about the human powdered milk, then no. That is not good.

You can get milk replacer but you need to buy a good one. The junk they sell at TSC is not good. It is my understanding that the Land O Lakes mentioned above is a good one.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Well, I too always have problems with replacer. They always get scours, or bloat with me. As soon as you mix it up, even if it's brand new, it smells sour. Almost lost a heifer calf to scours this year, and a kid to bloat.
I would at all costs, avoid replacer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I'm not talking about replacer. If I had been, I would have stated that. I just took them off replacer and put them on whole cow's milk (gradually of course) I mean human, powdered milk. It comes in a box, you mix it with water.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I have to agree with Janeen128. I have only used Does Match from land O Lakes and it has always been great. I never did the whole cows milk because I could not afford it. A gallon here is almost $4.00.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
No, I'm not talking about replacer. If I had been, I would have stated that. I just took them off replacer and put them on whole cow's milk (gradually of course) I mean human, powdered milk. It comes in a box, you mix it with water.
I think people thought you were switching from their Mom's milk....because you didn't mention what you were switching from. Personally, I wouldn't use human powdered milk at all.

How much longer will they be on milk?

·
Goat Mom
829 Posts
I use meyenberg whole powdered goats milk, but it more expensive than cows milk. And my babies have all thrived on it.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
agreed...powder milk is not good....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I had to ask. I don't like the taste of the stuff myself, so I'm glad I can't give it to them! LOL.

NYGoatMom...They were on death's doorstep when I got them at 5 weeks old. Had been taken off milk. They are 8 weeks old, and since they were so malnourished, their growth is stunted...so I'm keeping them on milk for another month (at least). They also have hay, minerals, and baking soda at all times...and I let them browse some during the day (if it isn't raining). Their favorites are blackberry leaves and grape leaves :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Get a bag of calf manna, its not cheap but they dont need much. I have used it on anything that needs help from a orphan calf that I could not get to take a bottle but needed it to a old mare that had issues keeping weight on. It is worth every penny in the long run.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Not only is the human milk not ok, the whole cows milk doesnt have enough in it either. That why you never hear someone say "I graphed some goats onto a cow and they grew fabulous". Not to mention as processed as store milk is, its not much better then water. How old are these goats? Are there any other goat farmers in your area that might be willing to work something out? Here we are always trying to find ways to use our extra milk. I currently have a post on craigslist looking for someone who would be willing to raise 2 calves, we would supply the milk for both and we get one of the calves at weaning. Cant sell goats milk here in washington even for animal use without be grade A so its kinda hard to find ways to use the milk.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Not only is the human milk not ok, the whole cows milk doesnt have enough in it either. That why you never hear someone say "I graphed some goats onto a cow and they grew fabulous". Not to mention as processed as store milk is, its not much better then water. How old are these goats? Are there any other goat farmers in your area that might be willing to work something out? Here we are always trying to find ways to use our extra milk. I currently have a post on craigslist looking for someone who would be willing to raise 2 calves, we would supply the milk for both and we get one of the calves at weaning. Cant sell goats milk here in washington even for animal use without be grade A so its kinda hard to find ways to use the milk.
Curious...? Where are you in Washington? I know off the subject, but that caught my attention.. I would be able to help you with the calves, if its not far?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes, store bought milk has pretty much no fat at all in it, they take it all out. You can't rasie anything too well on it. Unless you maybe buy the organic with the cream still on it.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Am located in the Tri Cities (Benton City). And I know where you are coming from montanadolphin. We sold a dozen does earlier this year and kept all the kids. For the first time ever in 20 years, we could not get one of the kids to take milk from any other source. Not from another doe on the milk stand/line. Not from a bottle or a lamb bar. For 2 weeks we tried but he refused. The only thing that saved him he was already eating some solids. This happened when he was a month old. And for the following month he ate nothing but a lil bit of grain but mostly alfalfa. Our alfalfa is better then any grain we could hope to buy.

And then outta the blue one day while I just brought in the lamb bar for the bottle babies he was penned with, he came over and mouthed the nipple. So I grabbed him, opened his mouth and put him on the nipple. It took 5 tries but then all of a sudden like a light coming on, he started to suck! Over the next couple of feedings I had to show him the nipple but he took right too it and within 2 days acted as if he were a bottle baby all along. But he too was stunted. Small and very course. He looked terrible. But over the next month of twice a day feedings (We feed twice a day and let the kids eat till they stop) he started to grow and slick out and by the time he was 3 months old he looked like a goat :) Good enough that he ended up going with his brother and another boy to Fresno California as pack goats. Granted, he may never have the size needed but the buyer wanted him, so away he went.

The moral of the story is, if possible, pure good feed to em while you can. It really makes a big difference in terms of catching them up to normal growth.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts