Prayer request please

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by MissMM, Sep 21, 2009.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My horse, Cueball, is in serious trouble. She somehow managed to get her leg (between the fetlock and coronary band) caught in some rope last week. We don't know how long she was stuck like that - possibly 3 hours until we found her & got her loose. She was completely down for nearly 14 hours until the vet came, gave her a few shots & we've been giving her antibiotic & bute daily for over a week now.

She's up and moving, eating, drinking, etc., but now the area where the rope burn was has gotten infected. We wash it daily & soak in epsom salt bath, apply antibiotic ointment & wrap again - it is better, but there's still a chance she may lose her foot. I.E. we might still have to put her down. Vet says we won't know just yet what the extent of the damage is (unless we could afford thousands in lab fees & more vet bills, which we can't). The only thing keeping from it at this point is her disposition - she's up and walking around, not isolating from the herd. She's obviously uncomfortable, but stands so well for all of this doctoring we do on her.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh MissM .... :hug: ....I am so sorry... Cueball was hurt.....just remember ...there is hope with Prayer....and I will Pray... for your Cueball..... :pray:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH no. I sure will pray for you and the horse. How horrible. It sounds good that she is up and with the herd. I had my rescue horse that had a nasty cut when we got him. What I did was wash it daily with a Tea Tree oil and water. Rinsed it really well, and they I put Calnegia (sp) on it really thick and wrapped it. The vet was amazed it healed like ti did much less at all. It sounds like it was in the same spot. The hardest part was every time it would start to heal it would crack because of the walking around.
    I sure hope it all heals. :hug: :pray: :pray:

4. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    :hug: prayers for your horse, you are doing everything you can for him.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Prayers sent for Cueball's recovery, with a loving heart like yours, he knows you'll do your best to help him. :hug:

7. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would use a peroxide wrap and get at that infection. Tie the horse as it might sting a little but most of the antibiotic creams are a petroleum base and do not work well for serious treatment. Witch hazel and listerine mouth wash work well as well. Wrap the leg after the treatment of peroxide and apply tea tree oil to the leg and wrapping. Good luck... I am sure you can get this under control.

8. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Prayers heading your way. :pray:.

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thank you so much for your prayers folks. The infection is drawing out, but it is so very raw....... she's such a good girl though and will stand for the whole thing providing there's someone there to keep the other horses away. If we try to isolate her to work on her, her buddy horse goes balistic (Lucas - our QH gelding, has not left her side this whole time).

I've been washing the area good and using a poultice antibiotic wrap - most of the infection appears to be gone. I tried to spray peroxide on it & almost got my head kicked into the next county. The wound is on the inside of her right front hoof - hard to get to that way.

Where do I get this tea tree oil & what is the ration of oil to water?

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    You can find tea tree oil at some pharmacies but mostly at health food stores, try calling around. I order it on line at www.sfherb.com but you need it now but sf herb is a wholesale company and they sell spices herbs and teas. Tea tree oil is used straight or dilute with a carrier oil like almond oil. Try the witch hazel as that does not burn like the peroxide and is good for drawing out the infection. Best of luck!! Aggressive treatment will cure her!

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've never heard tea tree oil being used for wounds :scratch:

I would email Kat Drovdahl, she's an herbalist in Oregon, she has this stuff called Wonderful Salve, its a combination of a bunch of herbs and it really helps to heal wounds. She could also recommend some stuff to give your horse to ward off infection: http://firmeadowherbs.tripod.com/id10.html

Good luck :)

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh heavens yes. It is wonderful.

13. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. No Tea Tree Oil at the po-dunk pharmacy in the town closest to me - next option is an hour away but I'll go there this weekend.

What is "calnegia" ? I've searched for it on Jeffers but can't find it.

The infection appears to be cleared up - but the hide is gone on her leg from the coronary band to about 3 inches up - raw, so very raw & painful for her it must be. I'm keeping it wrapped - soaking the foot, changing bandage daily & applying antibiotic salve, but OMG it looks horrible. I don't know how it will ever heal. By the time I get home from work, she's chewed the wrap off. Gggrrrr...

The DH won't be home until tomorrow night (he's the farrier / horse person in the family) to give his opinion. Lousy timing for him to take a job where he's gone Monday am - Friday night, but I'm doing the best I can. I really do appreciate the support of TGS members.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks Pam! I've actually got WonderDust & a cribbing helmet (that might take me a month of Sundays to find, but I know we have one).

Proudflesh would be gross.... but even that would be an improvement over bare tissue. I have a boot and leg wrap that I wanted to use, but the vet said that would rub & cause more damage.

I hope we don't have to continue with the oral antibiotic after tomorrow cause Cueball is starting to rebel every time I come in there w/the syringe (powder mixed into a slurry). Even if I try to hid it, she knows........throws her head & makes us both wear more than she swallows.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The Calengia (sp), you will need to get it at a health food store. The Proud flesh is what I was dealing with. Also, we used Duck tae to hold the bandages on. It worked better then anything.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you mean Calendula? You can get that at a health food store and that will help it to heal up really fast. If you can find Hypericum salve(or st. john's wort tincture) that would be even better to put on it since it is for tissue damage and will help with the infection.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes Sarah, that is really what I meant. Calendula THANKS.

19. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    You hang in there as you are doing all the right things. Be careful with ducktape or anything like that as that wound needs air to help heal. If you can find bitter apple spray you could use it in the wrap and it might not be chewed on. All the best of luck....God is with you!!

20. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I love this site....... I have bitter apple spray (for the dog when she got hurt) but never would have thought about using on the horse.

An elderly neighbor with horse experience (old enough to be back in the day when farm implements were still pulled by horses) take a look at Cue & he believes it's only surface damage. The tissue (although raw and exposed) and muscle appears to be ok. Upon hearing that, I think I took my first relaxing breath in over 2 weeks.

This weekend we're going to manufacture an isolation stall somehow where she can see & "nose" the other horses, but be on a clean, dry surface (the rubber truck beds are gonna get sacraficed for a while) so the wound can get some air now that the infection is gone. Buy stock in WonderDust people cause I'm gonna be going through a lot of it.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Attached Files: