Prayer Thread

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Pam B, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Well I searched for a prayer thread and can't find one, so I figured I'd start one. If there is already one then just move my post there and I'll be happy. Thanks.

A lot of you know the sad saga of my son Joshua. Well (yes, Stacey, here we go again!) he still doesn't have a job and his October rent is past due. The guy who said he was going to pay Josh for maintaining the sports web-site hasn't come through with any money. So Josh has been working on a couple other web-site design jobs which when done should pay for a month or two of rent, but still isn't anything steady that he can count on. He never got a call from Burger King or Pizza Hut after he applied there and I heard from someone else that BK hired a bunch of high school kids to fill their openings. :(

Jobs are getting scarcer and scarcer here. A few weeks ago one of our biggest employers (an auto parts maker) announced that they were going to completely close one plant here and cut way back on employees at a second plant here by the end of the year. And my hubby was just talking to someone the other day who was laid off at another plant that never made the news even though they cut their workforce in HALF - letting go 75 of 150 employees!!! Our State Legislature just voted to implement a whole slew of new business taxes that will affect the auto industry in the State the hardest. If you pay attention to the news you've probably seen that we've had two UAW strikes here in the past month over wages, retirement funding, and health insurance. Those morons in the UAW are expecting the automotive industry to come up with more money for them when the economy here in MI is absolutely horrible. What they have done, combined with the Legislature's new taxes, is to make the decision for the automakers to move ALL their manufacturing out of Michigan! The biggest employers here in my county are all tied to the auto industry. So if the industry leaves Michigan those jobs will all go to places where the labor and shipping costs will be much lower.

With all that explanation, I'm once again asking for prayers for Joshua. He really is trying to get his life on track now, but the opportunities are less and less. I'm sure he would have a better chance if he could move someplace where there are actually jobs available, but he doesn't have the money to do that either.

Oh, and pray for me and my hubby, too, please. The IRS has decided to audit our store for the first time ever and my husband is a nervous wreck even though he is a real stickler for doing everything the way it is supposed to be done. We've heard too many horror stories about them to take this lightly. :(

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I too need a job or I won't be able to keep my goats or my dog. I used to babysit but he is going to daycare to get ready for school so now I don't have a job...I am looking so I will appreciate prayers also.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Pam B- I do understand the problems that Michigan has with it's close ties to the auto industry- when times were good, everyone did extremely well. But when it went bust in the late 1970s and early 1980s, there was very little alternative and it seemed like so many people where out of work. And so many of those jobs never came back. I lived in Ann Arbor at the time.
    I'll keep Joshua in my thoughts- what kind of work does he really want to do?

4. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Alyssa, I'll be praying that you find a good job that you enjoy doing.

ETR, Josh would really like to do work in radio production and as a DJ, but those jobs are few and far between especially these days with satellite radio and internet radio making local radio stations a thing of the past. He is also interested in doing web-site design. Although he is very talented at both those things he doesn't have any sort of certification to prove that he knows what he's doing so finding someone who will hire him is very difficult.

As a fill-in job just to earn a paycheck he has lots of experience working in grocery stores. But he's already worked at two of the three grocery stores here in our county and gotten fired from both of them (that includes our WalMart Superstore). Both times he got fired because business was slow and he was the newest hire. But, because he was fired they won't hire him back. And the third grocery store in town is a family owned and operated place that EVERYONE wants to work at because they are wonderful employers. Once you get hired on there you DON'T quit, you stay there until you die, because they are so good to their employees. Consequently job openings there are scarce.

He's gone to the temp agencies and done all their clerical testing, but they have never called him with a job. I keep telling him that he needs to call and harass them once a week to find out where they are going to place him the next week, but he never does it. When I first moved here that's where I got my best employment opportunities - through the temp agencies. But until I got a reputation for being a very good worker I had to call them all the time for placements. Once I got out there in the field companies started calling and requesting me to fill in for vacationing employees several months in advance. But Josh evidently doesn't have the same drive to get a job, any job. He'd better acquire some drive pretty soon here though cuz his landlord called me yesterday to let me know that he's filing the eviction papers again! :roll:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    That is tough Pam, praying for the audit as well. I would be a basket case!

I was parked and a police car pulled up near me and I just about freeked - I wasn't doing a thing wrong but law enforcement and the like make me so nervous!

6. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    I will keep your family in my prayers. I know how your main industry in a state can affect everything else...for us it's farm the farm economy. Hopefully your son will find work soon.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Prayers sent your way...Luckily, I have a job as a breakfast line cook only 5 miles from home...but my hubby travels 60 miles back and forth to work. Maybe Josh could expand on his commute a bit...could have better luck.

8. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I need to ask for some prayers please.

My father-in-law had hip replacement surgery on 9/29, they thought he might have had a TIA stroke while coming out of surgery, then they thought it was the anesthesia. So he gets to the nursing home for Physical and Occupational therapy and he has gone down hill the last week. I kept telling them there was something wrong mentally with him, then they start telling me he isn't cooperating, he isn't eating (hello that ought to tell you something the man weighs 280), etc. Well they finally ran blood work today and his potassium is sky high, his kidneys have completely failed, and since his kidneys don't work his heart meds have gone toxic in his system.

He is now critically ill and they are going to start dialysis to see if it will pull the toxins out of his system, I pray it works. It only took them almost 2 hours for ems to get him to a hospital because nobody wanted him as they were scared to treat him.

So they have to call us to see what 'code' to put on him, does he want CPR - no he doesn't those are his wishes, What about ventilator - No he told his surgeon he didn't want one 3 months ago- they discussed it in depth, what about shocking his heart - yes, I say you can shock him if needed as he didn't tell me any different.

So I pray that he lives and that he comes out of it mentally OK.

The one thing I do have to say is - EVERYONE needs a Will, Advanced Power of Attorney, Advanced Directives, etc (whatever it is all called).
    If at all possible do not make your kids, loved ones, etc have to make these decisions for you, especially in the middle of the night, at least talk about it so they know what you want. I guess I needed to vent a little too, Thanks for listening.

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I will pray for his recovery.

I DEFINATLY agree!

10. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Will be in prayer for your FIL. I need prayers for my daughter. She is 10 weeks preg. she went wed. for sonogram. They could not find a heart beat. She was devastated. They did blood work. Her blood work levels for preg. are still very high. They are going to do more test at 2 pm friday. Then another sonogram. Then decide from there what to do. Hopfully they just missed the heart beat and every thing is fine.

11. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    She is definitely in my prayers, I hope everything turns out for her and hopefully they just missed the heartbeat and will find it tomorrow.

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Prayers going out for you guys.

K-Ro: ask them if a rise in adrenaline could be the causing this. Heard of a guy experiencing the same symptoms and he was allergic to the high adrenaline.

13. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Thanks ya'll it is good to know that others are out there in prayer. God said where two or more are gathered in my name miracles happen. It took some searching to find this site where everyone was gathering. I am glad that I didn't give up.

14. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Sad news to report. All of her levels have dropped. So she lost the baby. They will do a D/C Monday morning. She is upset ,but we will get through this. Please keep us in your prayers. It helps that she has the one year old son. That is them in my avatar when he was about 2 months. Thanks for all of your prayers.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my how sad! Lord be with this young woman and her family as they deal with the loss of the unborn child. give her your peace and comfort and overshadow her with love. Amen

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I could really use some prayers here also. I just received a call from my Step mother. My dad fell last night and was hurt pretty bad, but he said he was fine. The she woke up this AM and he was up in his chair. He asked for her to come look at this cut on his head. Well she found out that he fell last night in the middle of the night and he has a very deep gash on his head. She said he doesn't remember how he ended up the place he was, so he must of knocked himself out. He is 77 and he is not at all in the best of health. I am afraid that he had another stroke. they have him in doing a cat scan right now, and i am just waiting to hear from her and i will be heading to the hospital.

Corniswlr, My prayers are with your daughter. I had several miscarriages. I know now that I thank the lord for what happened to me at the time, because of that I have two WONDERFUL children. If I would not of lost those children, then I would never of known the great ones I have now. I know that is a weird way of looking at it, but I thank the lord daily for my tow children that I have.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sorry, it seems to double post a lot. OK maybe it is me. :oops:

18. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Lori, prayers are being said for your Dad.

Cornishwlr, I'm praying for your daughter, too. Been there, done that. I lost my second baby - a little boy - at 7 months. They never did figure out what went wrong. But as soon as I got the OK from my doc I got pregnant again and had my daughter. I pray that your daughter's loss was a one-time thing and she'll be able to have a successful pregnancy next time.

19. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    Thanks everyone for your prayers.She was heart broken. But she is getting better. It helped to already have her young son who will be 1 on Saturday. We are throwing him a hamburger/ hot dog party at our house. She has a very caring doctor. He came in before the d/c and explained everything to her. He even told her that his wife had three miscarriages. And that most of the time they never know what causes it and not to blame herself for this that she did not cause it to happen. We are watching Eric for the week while she recovers.
    Lori, Prayers for your dad. My parents are also in their 70's so I know your worries. My mom has already had one stroke and is recovering. So I know what you are going through.

20. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    lori prayers for your dad. i hope he makes a fast recovery

cornishwlr
    i am so sorry to hear about your daughter. sending prayers to her & your family