Prayers for my goat...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I feel kinda dumb for asking for prayers for my goat. :oops: I know that there are a lot more important things out there than my doe. But here's the story:

I noticed a lump on her jaw last Oct. I had it aspirated to see what it was and thankfully no CL. I then had it lanced and have been fighting with the thing all winter. I would think it was healed up and then it would get infected again(more like never actually went away). The vet had us start flushing it everyday and put her on pen. and told us he thought it might be a tooth root abcess. That was a month ago and now that she has finally kidded I was able to take her to have the vet look at her. The vet said today that it is a tooth root abcess. It looks 80% better and no puss at all has come out of it the past couple of days, but we noticed that she was leaking cud from the opening.(perfect) Today, however, we didn't see any cud in it...all the peroxide came out clear. He said since there was good improvement there is hope that the infection is gone and the hole will heal on it's own. But if not the only thing left would be surgery. A surgery that would cost $1,000-1,500 to have done. He told us to keep her on the pen. and to keep flushing it for now.

Gosh I hope and pray(hard) that it will heal on it's own. I do not have the money to do the surgery. :( The doe is Marla, my best doe.(of course) I have her yearling daughter, Mercedes, and her twins from this year, Mambo and Minnie. So I guess her bloodlines wouldn't be totally gone if I end up losing her, but she's such a pretty doe and she is sweet, too. Please pray that the pen. works and it will eventually heal on it's own. It does look a lot better, so there is hope. Thanks guys.

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Keep flushing it and given her great care and I will light a candle for her :)

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: Don't be silly. It's fine to ask for prayers for your goat. I do! :hug:

Will be praying for her. :pray:

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thank you both. I really appreciate it!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I hope that she gets better for you quickly

6. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    me too. (((hugs)))

7. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Prayers being generated and sent :hug:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did the vet tell you to use peroxide?... because it can kill good tissue...
    I would flush with a diluted iodine... like a light tea in color.. it may heal faster :hug:

I will pray... for your goat to heal quickly... :hug: :pray:

9. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Definitely praying that your Marla heals up for you. :hug:

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :pray: for Marla and you..... :hug: .

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Sending healing }}}}vibes{{{{{ Marla's way! Wishing her a full and expeditious recovery.

Deb Mc

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I would do the iodine flush also.

I will put her in my prayers tonite.

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Hoping and praying for a quick recovery! :hug: :pray:

14. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Praying for your special doe to heal quickly!

15. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
  16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Jacque, don't be silly. We would be happy to pray for her. I means after all that is why we are here is for the goats. :clap:

I was going to say the same thing. DON'T USE THE PEROXIDE. Use the diluted Iodine or Betadine.

The problem is it will eat away at the good new flesh and it will not heal.

:pray: :pray:

17. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thank you so much everyone!

Yes, our vet told us to use peroxide. The vets have always told us that iodine will dry it and seal it up before the infection is out. It has healed a lot since we've started her on the pen. and have been flushing it out.

We flushed it out again today...no puss, no cud...the fizz from the peroxide came back out clear. I just hope it continues to do so.

Thanks again...I will keep you all updated.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Jacque, I had a goat attacked and well long story short. Our vet told us to use Scarlet oil in the wound. After we washed it with the Betadine, water and dish soap. What it does is helps it heal from the inside so it heals correct. It is a very cheap bottle and I keep in on hand at all times.

Glad to hear she is doing better.