Prayers for my itty bitty chammy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ProctorHillFarm, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Well if you saw my thread about Calista's kidding- you already know she had triplets :girl: :boy: :boy:
    The doeling is itty bitty a little under 2 lbs. We pulled her immediately after birth and brought her home and we are bottle feeding her. First night she had a decent suck reflex and I thought everything was going to be perfect. She was going to town on the bottle and was drinking a little over an ounce at a time.
    She was very weak though- it took her a few hours to even want to stand up
    She has started eating less and less at a feeding and may even be losing her suck reflex- she takes about 5 good sips and then thats it- usually about 1/2 ounce. Shes hungry every 3 hours or so.
    She is pooing and peeing, and generally alert- and makes little cries to me and will follow me around a bit- her belly doesnt feel empty- but I just dont think shes getting enough.
    So I tubed her an ounce this afternoon with a bit of nutridrench- and also gave her a little more bose (she had 1/10 of an ounce the night she was born) I gave her another 1/10 today. Shes walking on her one pastern though, so Im thinking the first dose wasnt enough.

Just pray for my little itty bitty- I really hope she makes it (she will be 2 days old as of tonight at 10:30pm)

Also- another interesting thing. She was born last- and had like 2 or 3 layers of sack around her. It was VERY odd- and was hard to get off. I actually thought it was the "placenta bubble" then Im like wait, there is a kid in there!!
    So needless to say, I think shes a little "slow" :sigh:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will be thinking about her!! I usually give my nigi babies 0.25 cc Bose when born for reg size and about .35 for the larger kids.

I really hope that she pulls through for you. :hug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    maybe give her a shot of vit B to stimulate her appetite.... or give her nutra drench... that will also help.....Giving her Bo-se was a good move.... :wink:

As she is nursing...tickle her around the tail head for stimulation ...it is the natural thing that momma does... to help them to nurse... :)

I will pray.... that she pulls through..... :pray:

4. ProctorHillFarm

Vit B- good call- will bring that home from the barn and hit her with that-
    and yep I mixed in a few cc's of nutri drench when I tubed her.
    :thumb:

The bose I have I believe is a stronger concentration- the dosing is 1cc per 100/lbs (she has now had 2/10 of a cc)

Oh- and tickling her on the tail head- cant be done unless I have someone else do it since I need to hold the bottle- and hold her head onto it at the same time or she kind of just slides off it otherwise (told ya she was slow! :sigh:)

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    vit b ...thanks... :wink: Glad you already gave her nutra drench.... :wink:
    I understand where you are coming from with the tickling....I was hoping you had a 2nd person to help....I know it cannot be done by only one person.....She may be slow now...but when she gets stronger......she will catch on quickly...... :wink: :greengrin:
    The bo-se ......yep....you have to be careful on.....you did it right....... :hug: :pray:

good luck.... :hi5:

6. ProctorHillFarm

I dont think we are doing well here

It seems to me like she was a lot more interested in everything yesterday. I think Im losing her.
    Her right back leg is bending backwards at the hock and shes sort of just dragging it around- laying around not really up and walking around.
    I dont know what else to try. Im afraid to tube her anymore than I have, I dont want to pop her! I just gave her another ounce.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bose in the glass bottle labeled BoSe comes in one concentration. I give it at 1cc per 40lbs.

MuSe however is stronger and is labeled for cattle.

8. ProctorHillFarm

Mine is

E-SE Injection (Selenium, Vitamin E)
    2.5 mg/ml
    Dosage: 1 ml per 100 pounds of body weight

Schering Plough Animal Health

:shrug: My vet gave me the bottle

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    hm.. your right. Yours is stronger. I would stick with the dose your vet gave you.

10. ProctorHillFarm

well thats the thing- remember we were losing kids here a little while ago?
    We think it was selenium toxicity.

She told me to give 1/2 a cc (which I guess would be right going by regular bose standards) and all the sudden kids were dying with a a few to 12 hours for an unknown reason. We did a necropsy and all.
    Now that I went back and looked at the bottle- it made perfect sense.
    I was just sick over that for a few weeks- my vet was pretty upset too.

I dose the does at 5 and 2 weeks out with selenium- so I guess most of of these kids werent deficient to begin with- before I got the bottle from her I was just using the gel- and I lost no kids at all...

This doeling definately strikes me as deficient though- I know she didnt get everything she should have gotten in utero. her brothers are doing perfectly fine- one was normal size- and the other a MONSTER, Ill blame him for stealing all his sisters goodies.

:sigh: We will know soon if shes going to make it or not I guess. I just dont think theres anything else I can do for her - if anyone has anymore ideas ? :idea:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They need the vitamin E with the selenium for absorption of the selenium :thumb:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. ProctorHillFarm

I was thinking of running to the store and getting some Vit E capsules and squeezing them out and giving that to her.

15. ProctorHillFarm

what doesnt seem right about floppy kid is that she really wasnt "normal" at birth- she was definately born lacking in all aspects.
    I maybe should have started tube feeding her when her appetite slowed down yesterday- but I thought she would eat more as she got hungry, and since she was pooing (definate milk poo) and peeing that she was getting enough.
    She is definately fading though

So since I started tubing her:
    12:30 - one ounce colostrum and a few ccs nutri drench & 1/10 cc bose
    2:30- one ounce colostrum and a few ccs nutri drench
    3:00 one ounce of Pedialyte and a few ccs of nutri drench again.

Im just throwing everything at her now I guess.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. ProctorHillFarm

Yes about an hour ago it was 101.6

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wouldnt hurt

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    1/2 tsp. baking soda orally in water ....and probiotics....maybe try that...

With the backwards leg is it only one? Is that the only reason she may not be able to get up?
    If so....maybe try to brace the leg so she can stand....

Do you know how to syringe feed?

20. ProctorHillFarm

Yes its only the right back leg- she can get up- she just doesnt want to. When I stand her up she just stands there- she only walks to a place to go lie down again.
    And yep- tried to brace the leg- shes already managed to get it off though.

Before I tube fed her I tried to syringe feed and she swallowed about 1/3 and the other 1/3 just came out the sides of her mouth- and Im afraid shes going to aspirate that way.

:sigh: