Prayers/good thoughts please...

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by ZipperDoo, May 29, 2010.

1. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    My St. Bernard puppy Rorschach suddenly got very ill last night... We got him into the vet on an emergency basis (thank god for the vet that is "nearby"... WONDERFUL office!) and after x-rays, an ultrasound, and a couple of tests, we discovered he has a severely enlarged kidney. The vet isn't sure what's going on, but gave us some medicine and fluids to see if he'll improve in the next couple of days.

I'm scared out of my mind, and kind of freaking out right now... My fiancee is out of town on top of it... :(

If everyone could just send some healing thoughts Rorschach's way I would be much appreciative. If he doesn't start healing up, we're going to have to run more tests, and possibly get an exploratory surgery done. There's a chance he may not be treatable. He just turned ten weeks old the other day... I think I just need some :hug: ... :tears:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sending prayers Rorschach's way....it is so heartbreaking... when our beloved pets get sick... :( ....praying your baby gets better soon.... :hug: :pray:

3. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thank you. I'm stressing out about it... *sigh*

On the bright side, if he gets over this, I've just accomplished two weeks worth of obedience training because he's sickly enough all he wants to do is go potty, come inside, and lay down.

So I call him, we go outside, I give him his potty command, he goes immediately, I give him a treat... then back inside. I know he always sits just inside the door because he's tired, so as he crosses the threshold I tell him to sit. He does. He gets another treat. I move him to the computer desk, tell him "down" as I know he's just going to flump down onto my robe. He does, and gets another treat...

I moved into the kitchen to check on the rice I'm making him. He followed and looked up at me. Not thinking he'd obey I said, "Only if you sit down" (training faux pas - two commands at the same time meaning only one action) He sat, then laid down immediately. Surprised me, but I got him his treat.

Not all bad yet I suppose. :roll:

The training aspect gives me something to pay attention to other than my worry. :\ And, he has to be on a seriously bland bland diet... Which is boiled chicken, rice, and MAYBE some yogurt (my own goats' yogurt, no less). And he can't have more than a couple tablespoons of anything at a time, so giving him little shreds of chicken all day long is easier when I incorporate it into his training.

I'm just glad he's alert enough after all the meds he got to pick up on anything... Once he gets to feeling better he's going to forget it all I bet... :roll:

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like...... the training is going well.... :hug: He should love his new diet.... sounds really good.....
    As to.. after.....he gets well....he is a very smart guy.... he will not forget his training skills..... :wink: I am praying for him... to be OK....he sounds like... a great dog....... :hug: :thumb:

5. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thank you so much. :hug:

He's still lethargic right now, but still eating/drinking, so that's a good sign yet.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :hug: How's he doing? :pray:

7. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Still touch and go today... Better enough that we got the OK to start mixing some of his kibbles back into his food. He's a little bit more active, and I made the executive decision to stop the Sub-Q fluids as he was drinking just fine on his own, and he's so sensitive the process of doing Sub-Q was absolute torture for him (flipping around, struggling, screaming, not ceasing whining until an hour later when the lump began to subside, etc). I told him, as long as he drinks as much a day as I was giving him sub-Q, he wouldn't have to do it anymore. Sometimes I'll syringe him some to be SURE... but he's doing it, so I think we're good in that department.

Big accomplishment today though, he FINALLY had a blood-free poo that was mostly solid. I about died with relief... Thank you so much for your thoughts for him. I'll keep you all posted, and spare you the pics I took for the vet. : )

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Sounds like great news! Congrats! :hug:

Gina

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nice to hear ..there is improvement.... I will continue to pray .... :hug: :pray: