The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KING
I have a 20 year old quarter horse gelding that has some health problems. (genital related so I wont go into details) Tomorrow we go back to the vet to see if he needs surgery. I'm not sure if I want to put this horse through such a complicated surgery. The only option is to put him down. I don't want to put him down because he's so well mannered and a good riding horse. Won't know for sure until tomorrow and will discuss risks of surgery and quality of life after that.

BELLA
Bella is a 6 year old registered paint mare. She is a great kids horse and was going to be my Reining horse. Bella injured her suspensory ligament,
medial suspensory tendon, and her digital flexor tendon. So, she's looking at a good year before we can re-evaluate her lameness. At best, she could possibly be used for a kids walk/trot horse, a light trail horse or she may be able to be bred. I do know some kids that would like to show her in a few local shows. She's also pretty well bred so put to a nice cowy stud would produce a nice colt. If she heals well. At least she will live, and isn't facing being put down...

Both my babies could really use lots of prayers. Hoping for the best for King, will update tomorrow when I know. They at least are in great hands of a local vet hospital.

·
718 Posts
Im very sorry to hear about your situation...but at the same time, Its very good to know that they are in such loving , and caring hands as YOURS!
PRAYERS SENT!

·
Registered
180 Posts
So sorry. We had an Appy with cancer issues in that area. My sister had surgery when he was around 12 I think. It came back when he was 19 and we had to put him down. We had him since birth. 20 still has life and I hope he can have the surgery. Wish you the best on King.
I am sorry about Bella that is such a hard thing not to re injure. Give her her time off and take it slow next year. There are some good rehab treatments. All of you are in my thoughts & prayers for good things.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's always such a helpless feeling, isn't it, when we can't help our animal friends when they need it. You have my prayers and best wishes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A friend of mine had a gelding with cancer in that area and had surgery and it went really well. He is now 32 and living a great life out in pasture. He was 25 when he had the surgery done and I hauled him for her - he did great and his recovery was much easier than anticipated.

Look into Essential oils for your mare , I have been really surprised at how well they work. I have an 8 year old mare with bone contusions in her front legs and a knot in her deep digital flexor tendon in the back (came back from a feed lease like this). The oils have been working well. 4 months of hand walking is going to suck, but the oils seem to be making her more comfortable.
We had a gelding that had a bone cyst that was between the P1 and the joint and caused the P1 to fracture - thought we would have to PTS, but he has recovered - the P1 remodeled, and although he can not be used for roping, he is a dream for trail and mounted patrol. That one was a year and 3 months of hand walking, and then 6 months of round pen before riding and he is stellar. Do not lose hope and go the extra mile . I'm still blown away that my gelding recovered so well, I was sure he would be nothing but a lead line horse. I used Platinum supplements the first 6 months too.
Good luck and lots of good healing thoughts going your way

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: KING *GRAPHIC*

King is trying to retract his penis, we put in a sling type thing until Monday. If he is not improving he will need it partially amputated. He's on pain meds, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics until then. Im not too sure if I really want to put him through that, it's not the money, it's the quality of life. Will know more on Monday and talk to the vets there more about the surgery and quality of life after it.

BELLA

day one of hand walking, cold water hosing etc is done. Called a friend I know that does massages on horses. Figured both these poor guys could use one, won't hurt. Me too maybe. lol. Will look into the oils and Platinum supplements. The vets also suggested shock wave therapy on her leg. May try it, they said they've always had good results with it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FionaLaila

sounds like you have had some experience (sadly) with tendon and other related injuries. Would you happen to have a link for the oils, and maybe the supplements too? Would like to know what you used to ask my vet. I figure it can't hurt right? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have, plus I worked for a vet for awhile and I went through two years of RVT school. We also have 8 of our own.
The supplement is found at www.platinumperformance.com it is highly recommended by every vet I have known and the 4 hospitals that surround my area.
I used the one for joints and the one for bones on Beau. He had a 30% chance of coming out of this injury as ridable. It was a long haul - and a very long story - but he is such an amazing soul and so kind and talented that we had to take the chance and the time with him.
The oils I started using are found at www.doterra.com you can google doterra essential oil and horses to read what people have been doing.
My lameness vet was all for me using the oils on my mare. I use a combo of Frankincense, Lavender, Geranium and Helichrysum in fractionated virgin coconut oil. about 2 drops of each in about a 1/4 oz or more of oil and I massage it into her legs. I use the Serenity blend to calm her down - she is super hot and the whole hand walking thing has already gotten old. With the blend I take a few drops and rub it on her chest, knees and muzzle and rub her ears with it as well. She is coming into season and I swear she is calmer.
For all I know it's purely the act of the massage and the fact that I am using products that don't tingle, but she really appears to be more comfortable.She has a recheck in 30 days, I will try to remember to let you know the outcome. We think her contusions came from being jumped without proper hoof protection - but since everyone has lied and passed the blame around I don't expect to find the actual source of what happened. They waited 6 weeks to tell me she was lame and rode her anyway - so who knows. I only know that she is showing improvement daily and she is back home and off the market.
Keep me posted on your progress. My friend who's horse had the cancer had a significant portion of his member removed and he recovered fine - I say go with your gut on your boy King. Good luck! Lots of love and light to your equines :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
7-1 KING

went to the vet again today, sutures were taken out. He's keeping it about 3/4 in at all times now. Better than all the way out and there's no swelling. Gives me hope that he won't need the surgery, but we still don't know.

BELLA

Bella is doing fine. Scheduled both these guys too get massages done... should have scheduled myself too!! So far staying sane with 5 minutes hand walking 2x a day. Which is amazing for a 6 year old. She does however put her rubber feed bowl in her water trough every day, twice a day. Always been a comical girl... I spoke with her vet at the vet hospital today, and have ordered the oils and supplements for her. Thanks FionaLaila!

Bella's favorite child(my little half sister) came to see her over the weekend. she apparently did research on Bella's injuries and insisted she be cold water hosed, twice a day, have wraps applied and she wanted to give her walks herself. I taught her to apply the wraps and then re-did them myself just in case. That was after a bath, being clipped, having her mane and tail combed out, and braided.... She then spent the rest of the day brushing Bella.

It warmed my heart so much and I'm almost in tears now. My sister has been through a lot in her short life and Bella knows her human child needs her, probably more than we know. It was awesome to be able to trust a horse enough with a young adult, even to be clipped and not have to worry about them while I do my other chores. (I did still keep a close eye on them)

Horses. They leave hoof prints in your mind, heart and soul. Forever.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FionaLaila

I do want to do the shock wave, when I talk to her dr. tomorrow I think I will learn more about it and schedule it. I've also ordered her supplements and the oils you recommended... THANKS!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE!!

King is doing somewhat better, it only hangs a little out, and no more swelling... So we have decided to just watch him, Since I was so stressed about the surgery. He has another appointment in a couple weeks.

BELLA- I started bella on smartpaks rehab pellets, and cant believe the improvement. No swelling in her leg, and she only limps slightly at the trot! much better from her 3/5 lameness in June! I've actually had to reduce the size of her paddock to keep her quiet... I'm thinking this girl may eventually be under saddle again... She won't be my Reining horse, but ohh well...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
i think your horses are lucky to have you. i know that you facing a difficult dicision with king and i'm praying you dont have to put him down.. it is not a choice easily made. i lost my 4 yr old mare when i was 13 and it seems like my life was not the same after, and i know my father always regretted not getting the surgery that would have saved her, but in 1965 the expense was so high and so few places to have it done. geesh 50 years later and i still cry about it. good luck.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
961 Posts
Its good your horses are getting better and have such a loving human to have as their caretaker and friend. I send good wishes for King to get better and not need surgery, an to Bella to recuperate fully and get going again.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*Update*

I am sad to say that I had to humanely euthanize King on Friday. He now lies next to my old mare, his old friend.

Bella is doing well, we went on a long walk, handing candy out to kids on Halloween, I was sure she would be lame the next day but she was not.I think the walk did her mind a lot of good. She seems to miss King, theyve been buddies since day one. She has a recheck coming up soon, curious to see what they say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts