The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Border Collies suffers from seizures. He had one last night and it wasn't the grand mal that he has been having , it was different and it lasted.
Not the seizure itself but the post-ictal phase of it. I was up most of the night with him . This morning he was better , not himself but much better.
He ate his breakfast , couple of treats too. He was his manipulative self trying to get us to give only him more treats. I was so happy to see that ! But i know he is not himself , not by a long shot. I don't have him on medication because he didn't have more then one very other month or so. But the previous one to this recent one was less then 30 days , so I am taking him in for tests and then most likely meds. Im petrified of putting him on the meds but there are some newer meds out there that aren't as damaging to the liver and other organs. Im so wrecked right now. My dogs are my heart and soul.
Yogi is from a breeder who really doesn't care about breeding dogs that shouldn't be bred. I will not say who this is , but I will say I am mreo then upset knowing there could be more dogs out there suffering from this and heartbroken owners as well. I know of one dog that had to be put down cause of constant seizing. The vet had the dog sedated and if they let him go light , he started seizing. The owner had no choice but to let him go.
I let the breeder know about Yogi but all that was said was if I had posted this on her yahoo website ! In other worlds she was afraid I went public with it.
Its my fault from buying from a bad breeder , I know , but now I have to do what I can to make Yogi's life a quality one. Never mind mine at this point.
Im totally committed to my animals and will help them fight till they tell me otherwise. Please pray that Yogi recovers and he can be helped with meds.
I love him so much , he is a very special young man. I take him everywhere so he isn't ever alone. I know Danielle and Skyla have met Yogi since he was my co pilot with on our road trips . He is the best company one could ever have.

Attachments

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
Still praying for Yogi here :hug: poor guy :( he is such a sweet boy, and lucky to have a mom like you who cares so much about him :) :hug:

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't get a appointment today with the vet I wanted. He is the brains of the place if you know what i mean.
So i will wait for tomorrow. Yogi is OK , he ate and seems fine , just tired and not as "ready to go" like he usually is. I have vets here I can take him to if things change , but I like my vet and trust him tremendously , unlike the others. Figures its the vets day off , right ?
Ughhh...

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah , he is starting to act like "Yogi" again , he has that spark in his eyes , which is making me so happy right now just looking at him :)
He seems to like staying downstairs where its cooler now , and he always was right under my feet or in his private spot under the end table in the TV room. But heck , I'll take what I can get right now .

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
My sisters weenie dog has siezures...she finally had to put her on meds..it changed her personality a bit but no more siezures...after her last one, wich was bad! the vet told my sister the next one just might kill her,..so medication it was...shes doing well now...Best wishes with your Yogi!!

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Cathy :) Yeah , putting him on meds is the right way to go now.
He has had the grand mal seizures but they weren't less then 30 days apart , so we decided to not put him on them just yet , but now they are closer and this one wasn't a grand mal but seemed to have hit him harder and the post octal stage lasted a long time. That's the part that scared me to death ! I know there are newer meds that go easier on them , including personality , so Im hoping he is a candidate for them.
Im going to have a full workup on him , so my hopes are his heart and everything is OK. These animals will kill us all with worry one day !

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know after they are on them a week or so , they acclimate themselves to it and become themselves again , or at least as close as they can.
It is scary for me to think of Yogi not being Yogi anymore :(
But Im praying the other meds are good for him and don't change him a bit.

·
8,495 Posts
Good luck to you and Yogi! Is there something that sets off a seizure? (I know nothing about dogs and seizures).
He sure is a cute dog! Shame on the breeder for breeding after he knows something isn't right.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My old dog (15) has seizures not very often. Once she had a seizure after eating a burnt hamburger, she dropped like a rock. Hormonal changes affect her also. I hope yogi will be ok. But if my baby is still going at 15 i cant ask any more of her.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well , Yogi went to the vet and he agreed , it's time for him to go on medication for the seizures . After some bloodwork , we will be putting him on Zonisamide. Im hoping this works well for him and he will still be the same Yogi. I guess time will tell. This one medication has less severe side affects then the other meds. My vet had remarked that if his dog needed a seizure med , this would be his choice. I feel more comfortable putting Yogi on it now. But still , it's so scary :(
I never had a dog that had seizures , I only witnessed them .
Funny when its your own you lose all knowledge and know how , but when its someone else's , your brain works and so do your reactions.
Wish us luck on this journey .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts