Prayers needed -- possible CL.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by farmergal, Sep 15, 2010.

1. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    So my doe Cala (who is an absolutely gorgeous FF) had an abscess on her jaw/cheek that I noticed on Saturday. After hearing everyone's stories about CL scares I of course scheduled an appointment and took her to the vet today. He took a sample and sent it to a lab, and I will hear the results back in 1 week.

What he did was gross. And what I'm going to have to do is even grosser. He prepped it for surgery, sliced into it, squeezed all of the pus out, flushed it with what seemed like gallons of betadine. And gave me some betadine and plastic-tipped syringes, and I will have to reopen it and flush it out every day for a week. And the worst part... of course, HE knocked Cala out to do his work. I'M going to have to do this while she is wide awake and screaming her little head off!! And likely kicking the you-know-what out of me too.

Cala is totally separated from the rest of the herd, in a section of the chicken yard. But I am SCARED TO DEATH it's CL. She came from a herd that all came from CL free goats (that I know of)... but the herd owner is a little wacky. Like, I still haven't gotten the registration papers, 1.5 years after I bought Cala. I talked to her tonight and ONCE AGAIN she promised she'd already sent them in to AGS with a check and they're supposed to be mailed straight to me. We'll see. Also, she said that Cala's mom died this past year "of cancer." Now I'm starting to worry that "cancer" meant CL. I got 2 goats from this woman, and if she sold me CL-positive unregisterable goats for $350 each... well I don't even know what to say. (And the frustrating thing is, they're both beautiful beautiful does.)

So... please send prayers to me and Cala. I'm not sure I can deal with this right now, I also have a chicken with prolapse, a blind chicken, and a chicken who is miraculously recovering from Marek's in the "hospital coop." And of course plenty of healthy animals to care for too... not to mention 3 different jobs I'm juggling and my brother and his girlfriend are visiting this weekend! Why does everything have to happen at once?!

I have no idea what to do if she tests positive... I guess I would have to test the entire herd and find a CL-positive home for those that are positive? I can't even imagine that, not to mention afford that loss. Please send prayers.

-Lynda

2. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    You have em. I sure hope it turns out its not CL. That would be awful.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe Lynda I am so sorry you are having a rough time of it. Prayers that it isnt CL :pray:

Its easy to blood test everyone - its 9.00 per blood test if you go through WADDL but not sure what it is through Davis University.

Glad the vet did send the gunk off thats the best thing you could do right now :thumb:

:hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sending positive thoughts that it is not CL

by any chance were you there when he opened it up to see / smell what the insides looked like?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    prayers sent your way.... :pray: :hug:

6. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Positive vibes sent your way...

Yes everything does happen at once. But you can handle it!! ((hugs)) :hug:

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Lynda,
    I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Be strong and baby the heck out of her. :greengrin: Prayers and hugs sent to you, Cala and the chickens. (the garden tub makes a great chicken rehab) :shades:

Gina
    PS, Feed your faith and doubt will starve to death

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Am sending positive thoughts and saying prayers...

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I am really really praying it isn't CL, I really don't know what to do if she's positive. And if she's positive the kid is probably positive too...

The good news is the vet didn't think the gunk LOOKED like CL. Everything I've read says CL is like cheesy toothpaste... this was more like runny yellow/white snot. But, it was mixed in with a fair amount of fluid and blood, so it's possible that it was not fully "mature" yet.

And, it didn't smell, which is a bad sign. (The vet had a cold and couldn't tell, but he handed it off to the vet tech who didn't think it smelled. Next time I clean her out I'll smell it and let you know. Yuck. I feel sooo bad every time I have to have someone hold her down and just poke around in her open wound and squeeze out all the gunk.)

Sigh. My chicken is still prolapsing. One of my rescued feral kittens is sick and needs antibiotics. I have about 4 bite/scratch wounds on my hand because... well... you try getting liquid antibiotics into the mouth of a terrified feral kitten. I wear a glove but even still, he's a fierce little thing! I wish the vet could have just given him a shot or something, but instead it's liquid amoxicyllin (smells exactly like the stuff you get when you're a kid with tonsilitis) TWICE A DAY until the bottle runs out.

Sounds like I'm not the only one having a tough time of it right now. For a lot of people I know it's been a tough year...

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh hunny - my thoughts are with you!!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when it rains it pours huh? Im sorry about your other animals - seems like you really care about each and everyone. Hope the goat, chicken, cat (did I miss anyone?) all pull through for you

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    GOOD NEWS! I just finally got a call from the vet (1.5 weeks later, I was :hair: ) and Cala tested negative for CL. So she is now back with the herd and I will be milking her again... yay! I really hated interrupting her milk stand training but what can you do. And I'm extra glad that she's negative for CL, because her kid wasn't yet weaned, so if she had it he probably would have caught it since he was in with her while her abscess was oozing, etc.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support. I was really, really freaking out there for a while...

Update on kitten and chicken: kitten is totally fine, and now he is permitted out of his cage (because I don't have to catch him twice a day and shove antibiotics down his throat), so he and his sister are now terrorizing the barn... and the goats. OH LORD, you should see how terrified the goats are of these 2-pound kittens! You would think there were wolves in the barn!! They snort and stomp on the milk stand (but don't kick the bucket, because they know better).

Chicken is still prolapsing so I am going to try putting her in the basement where it's dark so she stops laying.

Phew. Thanks again for the prayers.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Did he say what the infection was?

So glad she is CL negative though :)

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great news.....what a heavy load off your shoulders.... :hug: congrats.. :cool: :leap: :thumb: :stars:

16. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    That is so great! I am so relieved and happy for you :leap: :leap: