Prayers please - for Raven - surgery complete - doing well

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kelebek, Oct 24, 2010.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Raven, our Dogue de Bordeaux woke up on Monday, October 18th with her entire neck swollen to where she had no wrinkles and was tight as tight could be. Immediately, I thought it was an insect bite or sting, aspirated with nothing, and started on dyphihydramine. I sent her to work with me husband to monitor since he is within minutes of lots of vet clinics.

A little bit of the swelling went down, but when it started going down, we noticed a HUGE knot under her jawbone on the right side with alot of edema. I made a vet appointment for her for Tuesday, and we took her in. The vet also tried to tap the knot with nothing. She wanted to try a 5 day round of steroids and antibiotics to see if it was just a deep abcess.

We came home that night, started the meds, and by the next morning Raven was bouncing around and all the edema was gone, leaving just the lump. By day two, the lump was starting to go down, slowly, but was definately getting smaller. Day three, the lump did not seem to be going down much, Day four, no change good or bad, and Day five (yesterday) it looked like it was swelling again.

Today, she is almost completely swollen up again and in pain. I have given her pain meds and we will be taking her back in, more than likely for surgery, in the morning. I am very worried that this is a thyroid tumor and from what I have read - it is not good!

Please send our baby lots of prayers as we really do not want to loose her. She is just barely a year old and is my husband's baby .... he lost his rott last summer and our previous Dogue de Bordeaux was also my husbands baby and died in his arms 3 years ago.

Thank you in advance for the prayers.

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Re: Prayers please - for Raven

Oh... really hoping that's not what it is. :( Definitely sending prayers your way. :hug:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Oh no...I will send prayers and good thoughts. Crossing my fingers it is something else.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Allison..I'm so sorry Raven is going through this, I pray that she makes a full recovery and there is a simple explanation for this :hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Is what scares me is if it is a thyroid tumor, prognosis is very grim for her :-( it is a fixed tumor and is the size of a softball, if not bigger) with edema coming back now also.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Prayers sent that way.... :hug: :pray:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Awe Allison I hope its not that :pray:

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Prayers for Raven. Hugs & prayers for the family too....
    I've seen the pics of her before and thought she is just adorable!! Such a sweetie. I hope she recovers quickly.
    Take care,

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

well from when we got up this morning till 8pm tonight - the mass swelled back up to almost how it was when we first noticed it a week ago.... so about triple between 7 am and 8 pm tonight. I went ahead and started her back on steroids to releive some of the pressure till we get into the vet tomorrow....

Here is a pic - not a very good one - but I didn't want to turn the lights on and wake her up -

My poor baby girl

[​IMG]

10. CapriGem

CapriGem Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Western PA
    Re: Prayers please - for Raven - pic added

Poor girl... I hope she gets some relief from the swelling.

Fingers crossed for her. :grouphug:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

oh, so sorry, I remember how excited and pumped you were to be getting her, what causes this?

:hug:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I am not sure exactly what it is yet. I am dropping off blood work in the morning hoping to get a stat T4 and Free T4 (thyroid checks) along with a full CBC/Chem panel. Then hopefully I can take her in in the afternoon, get the results and see what the next step is.

I have a suspicion it is a hyperthyroid gland tumor ..... :-(

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Oh Allison.....I am so sorry and as others have said that this is something other than a tumor.
    I will say a prayer for you guys and your baby girl!

14. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE

Saying prayers for her :grouphug:

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

OH Allison, I sure Pray that this if treatable. :hug: :hug:

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Well, we have a 9 am appointment - so I am leaving in 30 minutes to take her up to the vet. Her dr. is gone - so hopefully this one is just as willing to work with me and understand that this dogue does NOT leave my sight

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Raven has a surgical appointment scheduled for 1pm tomorrow. We are going to do a biopsy, but the dr. also believes that it is cancer...... I am so upset ......

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Wow :(

This was such a fast onset so crazy.

Praying all goes well with surgery

19. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM