Pre and Post kidding Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, Dec 11, 2014.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We give our goats Selenium & Vitamin E paste, and CDT vaccine a couple of weeks before they are due. After kidding, we mix up YMCP powder (purchased from Caprine Supply).

To be honest, the YMCP powder is a pain. It would be much easier to find a calcium paste/gel. I was looking at Durvet Oral Cal MPK gel, but wasn't sure how it is.

Does any one have any suggestions on which one they prefer, or what they give fore pre & post kidding?

P.S. We have had our first 3 100% kiko kids of the year (see photos ;) 2 bucks and a doe. The little girl wouldn't hold still for me to get her picture)

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You have to be careful with the gels because they can burn the mouth and throat.

What a bunch of cutie pies!

3. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Ok. Do you have a CMPK, or calcium supplement you recommend?

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I use "Goats Prefer" calcium drench from Jeffers if needed. It must be given very slowly.
    Two bottles have been around for about three years & one has only been used once.
    Gorgeous babies!!

5. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Thanks! Why slow if you don't mind my asking?

Aladdin is the first and last photo, and Abu is in the middle. Jasmine (not pictured) is Aladdin's sister. (We are Disney fans.)

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Congrats on the kids! We have never given a post-kidding calcium supplement so I can't help you in that department. We add some alfalfa into their diets for extra calcium at this time. I do know that some producers give their does Tums (fruit flavored) tablets for calcium. Seems easier than drench or gel!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use a SQ injection of calcium. After getting some of the drench on my skin and how badly it burned I refuse to use a drench for calcium except in extreme circumstances. I can't remember the name of it. And the bottle must be in the barn. But I bought from tractor supply.

8. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    If you see it, do you mind sharing the name of it? I would greatly appreciate it. I am using the YMCP powder, and it is just a pain to mix up (especially when we do not have hot water in the barn. It doesn't mix, and then the powder settles in the bottom because they do not drink it fast enough. I got a calcium paste from our local farm supply store, but it stinks, and I know they don't like it. Injection would be much easier!

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe this is it.

Attached Files:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The bottle looks like this. But the name I can't say is what I have. I need to find it to confirm. I need to buy a new bottle since it's obviously out in the barn and now has been out in the freezing cold

Attached Files:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    On looking at it further it says it's an RX and mine isn't so I will find it and get the actual name

12. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I never give a calcium drench or injection after kidding unless the doe is showing signs of milk fever. In 35 years of goat keeping, I have only had to do that once, and that was because the doe went off feed and wasn't getting enough calcium for her and the triplets she carried. They get a balanced ration with a feed high in calcium (alfalfa pellets, beet pulp) to counter the high phosphorus hay. They get loose minerals free choice.

PSG likes this.
  13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cant find my bottle. sorry

its something like calcium gluconate i think. TSC carries it. it will say "for SQ injection" my vet said to give no more then 20ccper injection site so if you are giving 30cc you have to give in two locations

14. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    [​IMG]

This is the injectable from TSC

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  16. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    do you guys like it? What is the dosage?

17. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I haven't used it. It's just one of those on-hand things in my cabinet. I've read that if a doe isn't having strong enough contractions that she might need calcium :)

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes I like it. 30cc
    I love how much faster the response is then with the drench. And they react less