Pre-Birthing Haircut

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Sara, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Hey everybody! When should I give Holly her pre-birthing haircut? She's due in approx 27 days. =) I'm so excited and I want to clip her soon because we've had some warmish weather.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I usually do it a couple days before the 145 day. So on like day 143 or so

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Okiedoke. I don't want to stress her out, do you guys have any tips? She'll be in the stanchion with grain.

4. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Yep, wait till she is closer. I would say a week at the most.. but like Stacey said it would be fine even just a few days before 145. If you do it now it will be grown out quite a bit.

Yay! I can't wait for her to kid! That is so exciting :).

5. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    How much are you planning on clipping off? If she is in the stanchion with grain, and you are doing her rear legs, udder, and rear end area she should be fine I would think. It probably won't take you very long.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I can't wait either! I want goat babies NOOWWWW! But I don't want them to be pre mature.

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Oh just belly, udder, legs and other parts so she won't get too messy. :)

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never do the belly - that part isn't important. IT is the udder and back legs and tail that get messy. The belly stays clean

9. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I wouldn't clip her whole belly.. maybe just about halfway, and even that could be a bit much. Definitely do her tail and around her vulva area, and her back legs and udder. Those are the most important areas, and they will get the most messy :D.

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    But I'm also going to be milking her so that's why I'd be doing part of the belly. :) Should I wash her backside a little bit, so that the clippers don't get clogged? I could take her inside to do that but I don't want to freak her out.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I shave the tail the backs and insides of the rear legs and the udder to just in front of it. Sometimes my does get long hair we call wings on their knees on the fronts of the back legs and i tril that off usually with the hair not against for that. I have seen babies get confused and suck on long hair rather then teats. and if your milking its nice to have a clean cut.
    beth

12. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Okiedoke. Thanks everybody. I read alot of articles, but nothing to me is better than interactive, experienced help.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i just think with the cold weather you are having shaving her belly wouldn't be a good idea. Just in front of the udder like Beth suggested is ok I guess - I just worry about my goats getting sick when they need that fluff

14. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Yeah, I didn't mean shaving the whole belly, just that little bit infront of the udder so that too much hair doesn't fall into their.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    silly me- I got this picture in my head of a fully shaved belly :oops:

16. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    So are you going to bottle raise the babies and milk her? :D

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I do it about when Stacey does. Around 145ish. Depends on the doe and how sure I am of the due date. LOL

18. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I'm going to raise one. Preferably a baby girl. And I'll be milking her after two days, and pull the baby at two days old.

19. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    If she has been nursing on her mama for that long, it is probably going to be hard to transfer her to the bottle and it will also probably be stressful for both the baby and mom. If you are going to be bottle raising it, it would be best to do it from the beginning.