The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. first of all, hello! I ended up here after I did a bunch of googling to discover that my Saanan Doe is a bit precocious. She's 4, and named Lola. We have not had her bred yet, but had intended to. The scenario: its late, almost dark and she is caterwauling. I go out to check things, freshen waters, etc and see that one bag is really swollen. I assume its mastitis and because I am curious what is going on, I start touching the bag, its warm, and hard (like full). Its a small bag, but there is a colostrum like substance that comes out slowly. Reading other forums, I have gotten mixed info on whether to milk her through, and see how it goes. Will she remain a sometimes milker, is this a fluke, should I breed her just to clear it? these are my questions. Also, has anyone ever artificially inseminated a doe, and where is a good place to buy healthy goat semen online?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Congrats. You have a "high production doe", apparently. Don't you have a "buck in the neighborhood?". I don't know much about AI except that is a bit too pricey for me. It takes a bit of time and practice to do it well. If there is a dairy herd around you they probably know someone that can do it for you. Considering her age, I would get her to a buck asap. And, I'd leave her there for awhile (when I have does here to be bred, I general keep them at least 5-7 days after their "heat" to make sure there is no "5 day heat", if they come from a distance, I like to keep them through a whole cycle to make sure they "took".

So, all the "noise" was that because she was in heat or do you think she's painful? I think if it's really full and painful, I'd milk a little to reduce the "pressure" and test the milk for masitis. If it's positive, get some "Today" from your supply store, and infuse.

You should get more info here before long. I've never had a case of masitis or a doe that is a precocious miker. And, welcome to TGS.

·
Registered
30,157 Posts
There is alot of talk on what to do with a precocious udder...so this i my opinion ;)

if its not even on both sides..leave it alone..

do test a tiny bit of what comes out for mastitis

do take her temp to be sure she had no fever indicating infection

I personally would not milk her at all ( unles like Di said she was very tight and uncomfortable) then only enough to loosen things

And DO gether bred ASAP to produce a real udder...you might be pleasently suprised by her fresh udder
with that said..there are some does who produce full out milk never being bred..however your doe is 4 years old and this should have presented much sooner..
Im not familure with IA either...but it is an option

·
Registered
2 Posts
My girl developed huge uncomfortable precocious udder last summer. Vets advice was NOT to milk ... as all breast feeding mums know if you express you stimulate more milk production. Must have been really uncomfy but I stuck to the vets advice and now (Winter in West Australia) it is a little dangly but much reduced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I think now, that it was mastitis gone a bit and I think it was all due to mineral deficiency. She "poked" the inflamed udder on something today and when I went out to check on things it was oozing. seriously icky, but we applied pressure, applied a cleanser, did some more research, and am just watching her closely. The "hole" is not big, but I found a gross video on youtube after searching goat udder pus, and so am now on the fix. I had also talked to someone locally about my suspicions of precocious doe and she said don't milk it. I was trying to relieve a little pressure, and it appears that there was something going on after all...

any advice on natural antibiotics?

·
Super Moderator
58,455 Posts
You need to get Tomorrow mastitis treatment. Do not fool around with that. She needs the normal antibiotics. Milk out the bad side and then put a whole tube of Tomorrow in there.

·
2,203 Posts
done. we'll see what happens next. Can I give it to her again? or should I seek out a vet at that point?
You can either milk it out when it's full and hard again and inject another tube or leave her be. Kind of your discretion on that one. I leave em be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts