Precocious udder doe leaking milk...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FunnyRiverFarm, May 4, 2009.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I noticed today that my little doe with a p.u. is leaking milk...and I'm not sure why. The udder that she has at this point is tiny and not tight at all--I wouldn't think she'd be leaking...I have never had one leak under such circumstances. I'm wondering if I should start dipping her teats as a precaution...what do you all think? Any comments/suggestions? Thanks in advance. :)
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :scratch: That is puzzling, I hope that someone has an answer for that problem.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would spray her with Fight Bac just as a precaution to disinfect her teat.
  4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    R u sure its milk not pus?
  5. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing...thanks :)

Yep, it's definitely milk...I've been monitering this pretty closely to make sure she wasn't developing dry mastitis...There's no heat or firmness and she doesn't have a temp.

I've dealt with a few p.u. does before but I have never had one leak like this for no apparent reason...she was laying down when I noticed it so maybe she smushed her teat just right to make milk come out of it....?? I don't know, I guess my goats like to drive me :hair:
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would have her tested for mastits. they dont always have a fever or a hot udder. Soemtimes they dont even have puss. But make sure she doesnt have mastits before you spray fight back on her. The thing with fight back is yes it closes the orfice so that bacteria cant get in. But if she has mastits its locking all that bacteria in her udder.
  7. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Good point. I should test her to be on the safe side.