The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nigerian Dwarf doe, who I found out last night had a C-Section her first kidding. Which would explain why she hasn't taken yet. She cycles and is repeatedly bred but has not gotten pregnant. So I think she is either cystic or full of scar tissue. Anyways, I got her last year and she was bagged up so I thought she was pregnant. Still no kids a year later. A month ago maybe her udder was a little larger and so was she so I though 'Yay, she's pregnant!' I milked a squirt out to see if it WAS milk, or just fat (she is a food hog, when I got her she was already fat) and it was milk. Regular milk like my milking doe.
I have decided to sell her, and I got an email today regarding her. The lady would like to milk her. Would it be OK for her to milk her AND drink the milk if she treats it? I would like to get her sold, so I am hoping it would be safe, but if not, I will keep looking for a new home...

Also, if we got her some Lute and Cystorelin, would it be OK to breed her if she lady would like to freshen her again after she has already had a C-Section?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
As long as she doesn't have mastitis, you can just drink the milk from a precocious udder. You can try the Lute and everything. If she has a lot of scarring, then nothing may work. If you sell her, make sure she understands that she may never get pregnant again. Also, scar tissue doesn't stretch well so she needs to be ready for problems when it would be time to birth.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you tell if there is mastitis?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I milked a squirt out a few weeks ago, it seemed normal. But I will milk her out again. I would think that having milk in there for so long wouldn't be too good?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Depending on how much is in there, it can be absorbed. But if it is a full udder, I think it should be milked out.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not a full udder. But it's been in there awhile and hasn't been absorbed. So I guess if it isn't going anywhere I might as well milk her. The lady emailed me because she bought a Pygmy thinking she was a ND.. Of course, there wasn't much milk. Then she said (because she only has one goat) the doe is super attached to the owner so she drives around town with a goat riding shot gun!! :hammer::hammer::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::laugh::crazy::hammer::slapfloor::slapfloor:

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I milked her totally out a little bit ago. Milk looked fine besides being a little watery. Didn't smell or anything. No lumps or bumps in her udder. I let the potential buyer know about her C-Section, and she is still interested.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. So then the lady can breed her this fall and milk her next spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts