The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could this be the start of a precocious udder?
I got this 2 year old Nubian in June and was told she was to kid any day. Being new to goats i took the lady at her word and thought she was pregnant. After having the goat for a few weeks and talking to other people I figured out the goat wasn't due to kid any time soon or even pregnant at all.
In July she showed signs of heat. So I was pretty sure she wasn't pregnant.
I talked to the seller about this and she was sure she was pregnant but couldn't tell me when she was breed.
The goat has had no udder development from the day I got her, til this weekend.
I noticed her acting funny at the buck fence so I thought maybe she's in heat again, when I went out to check on her I noticed her udder looked different. Any idea of what's going on here?
Bird Eye Liver Working animal Fawn
Liver Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
I would pull blood to confirm pregancy or not. Its simple and fairly inexpensive if you can draw the blood your self. Or a goat savvy friend.
Has she kidded before? Her udder looks like she had. Somtimes hormones can create a bit of a fuller udder.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would pull blood to confirm pregancy or not. Its simple and fairly inexpensive if you can draw the blood your self. Or a goat savvy friend.
Has she kidded before? Her udder looks like she had. Somtimes hormones can create a bit of a fuller udder.
She has kidded before.
I'm new to this so if she was pregnant when would a udder start to fill?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or could her coming in heat make this happen? She showed signs of heat in July. She had clear discharge and was crazy for my older buck through the fence.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Yes, hormones from heat cycle can cause a bit of fill up. And it's not very much there so could be that.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the udder..don't milk it or anything. If you plan on breeding her..just get her bred and that will set her up 😉

1 - 11 of 11 Posts