Precocious?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Aug 23, 2009.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    My yearling doe who has never been bred, just started producing milk. I've heard this is called a precocious udder, what causes it? Is it better not to milk or to milk? Should it affect being able to have her bred next month?

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

a prococious udder is cause by a uteran hormone imbalance. In my experience about 75% of prococious udders also get mastitis. Usually a mild case but not to be ignored. Whenever i have a doe with a prococious udder i test right off the bat. If she is positive i treat it like any other case. I dont milk because they usually dont produce much even with regular milkings.
    beth

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I had a yearling doe with a precocious udder earlier this summer. I tested her for mastitis to be on the safe side and thankfully she did not have it.

I do not milk precocious udders and have always been told that they should be left alone unless it gets so tight that it causes discomfort to the doe (I have never had that happen). I have heard of people milking them, though, and getting a fair amount of milk...but when I've gotton milk out of a p.u. for mastitis testing it looked kind of watery--not like real milk--so I don't know how good it would be anyway. :shrug:

4. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    What causes the hormone imbalance? So I should just let her dry up and check to make sure it's not hot or anything? Can I still have her bred soon?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Sometimes the only way to detect mastitis is with a test. Not all does will havea feverish udder. some dont even act sick or anything.
    beth