The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for checking in, Pam. Things are pretty awe inspiring, actually. No fever, she's hungry, gone back to mothering her daughter (FF and this did not derail her!!!!)

She looks rough, I'm not going to kid you about that. Her head and neck have holes, her anus area is swollen like a small balloon, and still moves wobbly from her injuries.

But, WOW, what an amazing comeback.

AND, she's still producing milk!

I'm floored.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That is awesome she is bouncing back so well :)
Isn't it though????
Of course there is still danger, I'm not counting this as a done deal yet... But it is very encouraging.

I'd really like to say thank you for all the help offered.

Reactions: Paravani

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No, I really don't think that it is abscessed. Everything looks like it is healing, and the skin is a normal healing-from-trauma colour and texture. A friend of mine suggested tea tree oil and that has kept it really clean and nice.

Her poop has stayed normal looking. Her urine is really dark and I am watching that closely. She is spending all her time outside now. She is drying up as far as milk goes, and I'm letting her just nurse her daughter and not milking myself. It is very difficult for her to get up on the milk stand and the head gate hurts her injured neck, so it just is not worth it. as long as I can keep her medicated and checked, I'm happy.

She will be scarred, I'm not kidding anyone about that. But what an incredible fighter. Scars don't affect genetics!!!

I'm also so proud of my dogs!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
She continues to improve. She jumps up on the milking stand now on her own, and gives me 1 pint of milk every morning. A friend who has a CMT test has tested her milk and so far no mastitis.

She is "mothering" her daughter, but I have not seen her daughter nursing lately. That does not mean no nursing, I just am not seeing it.

Her limp is almost gone, and all her wounds look like they are healing well. I have stopped all injected antibiotics. She is getting ground fresh garlic in her morning feed, and nitrofurozone ointment topically.

The outlook is good, I think. Thank you to all who responded.

If any here have further questions/suggestions/requests for updates, I'm glad to hear from you.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Well done for all involved. Did you finish the full round of antibiotics? As for the dark pee, if she's not drinking maybe she'd find some molasses or juice in her water appealing.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
ThreeHavens, I did finish the rounds of antibiotics. Thanks for bringing up that extremely important point.

I saw her urine this a.m. and it is no longer dark. It is quite light now. However, it was still in multiple streams which indicates multiple holes through which it can stream. So now I am considering putting her on injectable antibiotics once again to head off an infection in one of those holes in her anus.

Rest assured, should I decide to do that, I WILL complete the course of injectable antibiotics.

Karen, thank you very much for your attention and well-wishing.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thank you Capra. That is a terrific suggestion. Nancy D gave similar advice. Great minds and all that... As of this afternoon, she is progressing nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, what an awesome story of recovery, and also of your love for your goat.

Yes, she sounds like a fighter -- but I bet she will also be one of your most affectionate goats forever after. She will remember the care you have given her over the last couple of weeks until her dying day.

·
174 Posts
You are doing great! keep an eye on the wounds as punctures can become abscessed. Need to keep deep punctures open and healing from the inside out - also you want to watch for flies getting into wounds. I have used Vitamin A&D ointment (the kind that actually does have vitamin A & D in it)..a little applied gently to larger wounds promotes healing, yet keeps the wound pliable and protects from flies.
For the future - we have had great luck keeping large predators away by using the solar predator lights. We use the Nite Guard ones, but there are other varieties on the market as well.
Hope your goat continues to improve!

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, I really don't think that it is abscessed. Everything looks like it is healing, and the skin is a normal healing-from-trauma colour and texture. A friend of mine suggested tea tree oil and that has kept it really clean and nice.

Her poop has stayed normal looking. Her urine is really dark and I am watching that closely. She is spending all her time outside now. She is drying up as far as milk goes, and I'm letting her just nurse her daughter and not milking myself. It is very difficult for her to get up on the milk stand and the head gate hurts her injured neck, so it just is not worth it. as long as I can keep her medicated and checked, I'm happy.

She will be scarred, I'm not kidding anyone about that. But what an incredible fighter. Scars don't affect genetics!!!

I'm also so proud of my dogs!
My goodness,what a TROOPER! I'm seeing that everyone here has got helping you down pat. I'd like to add the obvious,plenty of fluids. As you mentioned, her urine was dark. I'm assuming you're making certain she's got fluids readily available. But are you actually seeing her drink?

Many prayers for you,yours and Serendipity. I'm lifting you guys up to our merciful Savior!

God bless,
Glory
XO
Ps....remarkable advice!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Scarlet Oil is good for puncture wounds. It heals from the inside out. I'm glad she's doing better, and hope she 100% soon.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hello all.

I see the advice and suggestions have kept coming in, and I'd really like to express my appreciation to all. Thank you.

Serendipity is still limping, possibly from the wound, but also possibly from nerve damage, as the wound itself no longer seems sensitive. Her anus area is no longer swollen, is normally shaped except with a groove it did not have before, and appears to be working as designed. Her head and neck continue to heal with 2ce daily applications of nitrofurazone ointment. Serendipity gets chopped garlic and powdered Vitamin C every morning on her milkstand feeding. She has continued to give milk, care for her daughter, move and browse with her herd.

There is no sign of infection at all. I'm so very impressed by her.

And my dogs. I sell LGDs in KY, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

There has been no sign of a cat since this happened. I think the dogs went hyper-alert and have made some of our predators seek easier food. I'm not sure. But they have been REALLY noisy!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Just curious, you mention you have LGD's? What kind? And where were they? My Anatolians never let anything live once it was in the pasture, even turtles, large turtles.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Anatolian/GP crosses. One was out with the does/kids while they were foraging, one was outside the buck pen (the bucks were in the pen) one was nursing her pups in the pumphouse.

2 of our near neighbor's dogs got into it too, running about a half mile from their home to the goat in distress. I don't know the exact breeding of those dogs, except one, Sitka, was a low percentage wolf hybrid.

Oh, and another neighbor's dog joined in. He is a 12 in tall terrier mix. I'm not sure he ever actually got in a bite, but he was sure trying!

All the dogs, except the puppies, went to work. As 2 of my LGDs tangled with the cat, 1 of my LGDs (who has a bit of Collie in her) brought all the rest of the does home.

Serendipity made it almost all the way home before she collapsed. She collapsed about 50 yards from home. The LGD's accompanied her home. Once the danger escaped, they did what I wanted them to do.

I hope that clears up your curiosity.

Turtles, huh? We have snappers sometimes and the dogs don't really like them much. The numerous box turtles don't rouse their ire.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Anatolian/GP crosses. One was out with the does/kids while they were foraging, one was outside the buck pen (the bucks were in the pen) one was nursing her pups in the pumphouse.

2 of our near neighbor's dogs got into it too, running about a half mile from their home to the goat in distress. I don't know the exact breeding of those dogs, except one, Sitka, was a low percentage wolf hybrid.

Oh, and another neighbor's dog joined in. He is a 12 in tall terrier mix. I'm not sure he ever actually got in a bite, but he was sure trying!

All the dogs, except the puppies, went to work. As 2 of my LGDs tangled with the cat, 1 of my LGDs (who has a bit of Collie in her) brought all the rest of the does home.

Serendipity made it almost all the way home before she collapsed. She collapsed about 50 yards from home. The LGD's accompanied her home. Once the danger escaped, they did what I wanted them to do.

I hope that clears up your curiosity.

Turtles, huh? We have snappers sometimes and the dogs don't really like them much. The numerous box turtles don't rouse their ire.
Oh my word. My daughter and I teared up reading this. What GOOD dogs!!!!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts