Predator protection and boarding

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Ihaveagibsonsg, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Ihaveagibsonsg

Ihaveagibsonsg New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    Ramona
    I am an aspiring goat owner. I want to buy 4 goats for maintaining a 4 acre, hillside fire line. My current plan to board the goats is to build a 30x30 fenced in area with a 10x12 lean to for the goats to sleep in. Will it be warm enough for the goats to not have a 4 sided structure? I live in southern CA.

I am also concerned about predators, mostly mountain lions and coyotes. Is there a species of goat that can defend themselves against a mountain lion? I can't dedicate the time to sit on the hillside with a rifle to watch after the goats. I'd like to be able to leave them out during the day then board them at night. I don't have a dog right now and don't plan on getting one unless I have to.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by board at night. There is no type of goat that can defend itself even against a dog.

21goaties and toth boer goats like this.
  3. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    That shelter should be warm enough if it is draft free and small enough that the bodies can keep it warm.
    No, there is no such goat.
    If you get a dog, be certain it is a mature, trained dog. Don't ask a pup to do this job. Better yet, get a trained pair of dogs who are used to working together as a team.

5. mariarose

I think @Ihaveagibsonsg means allow them to have pasture during the day but lock them in a paddock with the 3 sided shelter at night, but you are right, that is a question.

6. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    Welcome!

No goat can defend itself against a predator. Not feral or loose dogs, not mountain lions, not coyotes, not bears, not wolves.... Nothing. They are prey animals. The best way I know of to deter predators is a pair of Livestock Guardian Dogs, but if you don't want a dog, very tall electric fencing can help deter predators. It would have to be taller than a mountain lion can jump... Coyotes can't jump as high but would be happy to dig under your fence.

Board them at night? Do you mean put them in a barn or something at night? If you have them in an enclosed space, it will keep out most predators. Some ideas: A barn, a 4 sided shed with a door, a garage. Any shelter you close them inside must have good ventilation (openings near the top of the shelter above goat height).

That 3 sided shelter is fine for sleeping/lounging if it blocks the wind and keeps them dry. It won't protect them from predators, if that's what you are asking.

21goaties and mariarose like this.
  7. LockeEstates

LockeEstates Active Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We bought a 10 x 14 four sided shed that we call a barn because it is larger than the shed we have. We have two roaming packs of coyotes around us here in Ohio on our one acher plot of land. We lock our five goats up at sundown to keep them safe and for our own peace of mind.we keep the shed open for now but it eventually will become the Billy home and the does will get the barn as I have four who are expecting starting in February.

8. mariarose

Our canine predators are nocturnal hunters. Our feline predators are diurnal. Our dogs are active all the time! Another reason I like having a pair.

9. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    I think I know what she means by boarding at night. There are coyote here as well as free roaming dogs and I protect my goats by bringing them into a dry lot for nights, and at those times when I will be away from home several hours at a stretch. When I am at home and hear or see a predator lurking about, then the shotgun gets loaded first with bird shot as a warning and then with 00 if the invader does not back off and go away. For back up, I sling a rifle across my shoulder in case they are wounded and on the run for the added distance needed to finish bringing them down. I have had to do this twice and the first time had to track down a wounded animal to end it's suffering, so I take a rifle now instead of having to track it down. I use cattle panels in their browse area and move them when needed.

mariarose likes this.
  10. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Well the over all thing questions wise is.

1.) WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    2.) Goats are prey and cant defend themselves, certainly not again Mountain Lions.
    3.) Better get a gun, electrical wire, or high strong fencing.
    4.) three sided draft free manger style shelters should work, as long as its dry, warmish, and solid.

11. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I live in Montana and all of my sheds are three sided. It has been a warm winter this year the coldest it has been is 5 degree's.
    Here we have mountain lions, bears coyotes but i loose more stock to domestic dogs than any thing elts. plan on a guard dog

mariarose likes this.
  12. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    I second that Ive seen more domesticated dogs around..owners around her know...leash laws even in the county. They come in my yard and pressure any of my animals..Ill drop lassie in a heart beat.

Dwarf Dad and NigerianNewbie like this.
  13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Welcome! The three sides will be fine. I am up by Yosemite and that’s what I have for my goats, unless they are kidding, and they do just fine.
    With predators, especially mountain lions if you have them thick, is to figure out a way to get a door on your barn and lock them in at night. I have not had a issue with them but a lady I sell my bottle kids to has and she has walked out to find her goats just slaughtered. Not just one picked off but 8 in one night. She tried everything to keep them out and they still made it in. For the coyotes and dogs, which dogs are probably the worse of anything, hot fence on the outside.

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Sad isn't it. Neither of my 2 (knock on wood) invaders were from coyote. The reason the first one was only mortally wounded and had to be tracked was because I choked and starting shaking. I really didn't want to do what had to be done because, well, guilty of being tender hearted. Next time was easier since this one was the area terrorist. More than I have fingers on both hands, he would deliberately attack other people's pets whether dogs or cats. Dropped him in the pasture, had the sheriff called on me..... Owner of this dog was reminded he had numerous warnings in the past by animal control when they followed up from the sheriff report. They had to remove the carcass from my property and got issued a hefty fine, finally.

MadCatX, NicoleV, mariarose and 2 others like this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Welcome! :) The only things that I know of, that can protect against wild hunters are a log (lying timber) house, and an electric fence. Nowadays the electric fence might be easier to get! ;)

Once, I saw my FLOCK of DETERMINED goats show a fox whelp (some 3-4 months) out of the meadow. As for a grown up fox, I don't know, and a puma or a coyote ... No, no, no!

Rifle? Well, you must then be at edge every minute of the day, no leasure for eating or sleeping, not to mention going to a job! ;)

mariarose likes this.
  17. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Dog owners to me are the biggest protagonists with this. They get the dog, they dont follow the laws, their dog gets into stuff its not supposed to, they are warned, warned again, then action happens. Then THEY get mad. Naw, money I got in my goats and chickens I protect them because thats my responsibility. So its death lol.

NigerianNewbie and mariarose like this.
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The 3 S's. Shoot, shovel and shut up! People just don't understand, the nicest dog in the world is still a predator and goats are prey. A goat smells funny, jumps around and best of all, makes funny noises and runs. Everything to trigger the instinct to chase and kill.

19. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Boom.