Predators and baby goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sundari, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    First of all -- yippee!! My Nigerian Dwarf kidded (for the first time), giving birth to two beautiful doelings. :)

She was, however, 12 days early, so there are still a couple of things I was planning on learning about. How big of an issue are predators for baby goats? I live in the city, and we don't have many coyotes, but we do have plenty of foxes and a few raccoons. Unfortunately, my goat shed doesn't really close securely. My adult goats (two females) are disbudded.

I did a fresh round of coyote urine on the fenceposts. Anything else I should be doing? Should I work on the shed to make sure I can lock the goats in at night?

2. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    First of all, congrats on your new babies. I don't think the raccoons will be a worry for you, I have never heard of them bother baby goats, just chicks.

As for the foxes those could be a issue, but I would think being in the city that stray dogs would be more of issue for you. If it was me I would probably go ahead and work on the shed to make it more secure.

3. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the congrats -- we're really enjoying the babies. :)

We do have a 6 ft wooden fence completely surrounding our property. We've never had a problem with a stray dog getting into our backyard, but I do know that foxes can scale the fence.

4. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Actually, raccoons can take out a Nigi kid.... a breeder was telling me just yesterday that she lost a doeling last year to a coon. :(

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Wow, see I would never have worried about the Raccoons at all. I always seem to learn something new on here.

6. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    In one of the last few issues of Goat Rancher Magazine one of the regular contributors relayed a story about a young kid they saved that had it's nose chewed off by a raccoon before her LGD heard the commotion and came to the rescue and killed it.
    I would secure the shed if I were you. And keep this in mind. Raccoons can squeeze into an amazingly small space to get into where we don't want them to go.