The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the "how many animals do you have" thread, I noticed a trend. Lots of people were losing lots of chickens and other fowls. So this thread is dedicated to sharing tips about protecting our flocks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the most important tips I can give is be observant and know how many birds you have.

Case and point. My dad had 20 peeps in a pen. He fed them every day and didn't notice they were being killed and taken until he had 4 left.

Also do regular head counts and perimeter checks of the stability of you fence and coop. A weak board or fence post could mean the loss of a whole flock.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Our ducks go in at night and they have access to the indoors all day long as well as a couple of small shelters outside. We've had a number of smaller hawks and a turkey vulture out flying around lately but so far so good. My only protection from them is the vigilance of the group in the hopes they run for cover before it's too late.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a hawk issue too. Our chickens aren't allowed to free range most of the year so we put a net up over their enclosure. It keeps raccoons and hawks out.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I locked my chickens up at night and did a head count before closing the door for the night. It seemed to help that they were in with the goats as far as hawks, etc. when in the field.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts