The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
106F4D6B-8AE2-413F-B020-7B6B5D203776.jpeg
My doe is pregant and she's just started to produce milk in her udder and I just realised she has worms, I am very worried what to drench her with to avoid hurting the baby, I have Q drench, panacuer 25 and virbrac caprimec. Do I need to buy something else to avoided hurting the baby? Please help

THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
How far along in the pregnancy is she?
What Worms does she have?
How do you know?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How far along in the pregnancy is she?
What Worms does she have?
How do you know?
I am not sure how far along she is in the pregnancy, I know it's sounds really bad but my buck got out sometime when I was on holidays for 6 weeks. I belive it's baber pole and I know from the coulour inside her eyelids. She is developing a little bottle jaw :upset:

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Okay, other than the panacure I've never heard of the worm meds. Can you tell me the active ingredients in them?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Q DRENCH

Active Constituents
Levamisole hydrochloride 40 g/L Closantel 37.5 g/L
Abendazole 25 g/L
Abamectin 1 g/L

Barber's Pole Worm ~ Haemonchus contortus - including inhibited L4 stage and strains with single, dual or triple resistance to macrocyclic lactones, benzimidazoles, levamisole or
closantel, and strains with emerging resistance to closantel.
Small Brown Stomach Worm ~ Teladorsagia (Ostertagia) circumcincta - including inhibited L4 stage and strains with single or dual resistance to macrocyclic lactones, benzimidazoles or levamisole:
Black Scour Worm ~ Trichostrongylus colubriformis - including strains with single or dual resistance to macrocyclic lactones, benzimidazoles or levamisole.
Large Stomach Worm ~ Haemonchus placei
Stomach Hair Worm ~ Trichostrongylus axei
Black Scour Worm ~ Trichostrongylus vitrinus
Small Intestinal Worm ~ Cooperia spp
Thin-Necked Intestinal Worm ~ Nematodirus spp
Large Mouthed Bowel Worm ~ Chabertia ovina
Nodule Worm ~ Oesophagostomum columbianum
Large Bowel Worm ~ Oesophagostomum venulosum
Whip worm ~ Trichuris ovis
Intestinal threadworm ~ Strongyloides papillosus
Hookworm ~ Bunostomum spp
Nasal Bot ~ Oestrus ovis
Lungworm ~ Dictyocaulus viviparus (Large lungworm)
Liver Fluke ~ Fasciola hepatica - mature fluke and immature forms including 6 week old stages. Reduces the output of viable fluke eggs.
Tapeworms ~ Monezia spp - heads and segments
Itch mite ~ Psorergates ovis

VIBRAC CAPRIMEC

COMPOSITION
  • Abamectin 0.8g/L
WHAT IS CAPRIMEC?
  • Only ML drench registered for goats
  • Broad spectrum worm control
  • Provides rotation away from BZ drenches
  • Only non-BZ drench with meat WHP and ESI for goats

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
We aren't trying to criticize, just get information in order to answer your question.
How long ago was the last day your buck was out with the girls?

You see, the earlier in the pregnancy the more dangerous for fetal development.

Thank you for being so good about answering us

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We aren't trying to criticize, just get information in order to answer your question.
How long ago was the last day your buck was out with the girls?

You see, the earlier in the pregnancy the more dangerous for fetal development.

Thank you for being so good about answering us
Ummm roughly 4 months ago, judging by how she is and how she just started producing milk I would say she's has roughly 3 weeks to go

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C4A53ED9-56EB-47F9-8862-CCAFD1500475.png

I fell though if the the Wormer I have (q drench) was harmful for does with kids it will say. It only says it's bad if your producing milk for humans

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@goathiker the doe looks to me to have external parasites as well. Would injectable ivermectin SQ injection be a good option here?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@joshua______ You are from Australia, Where are you, currently?
@Bree_6293 How safe would these be for preggoes? What is your experience with them?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@joshua______ You are from Australia, Where are you, currently?
@Bree_6293 How safe would these be for preggoes? What is your experience with them?
I'm from the the hawksbury, nsw , Australia. I can treat her for lice tomorrow with some dust but my main concern right now is to make sure she doesn't become real anemic the sonner I can drench her the better

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
if the the Wormer I have (q drench) was harmful for does with kids it will say. It only says it's bad if your producing milk for humans
It does say that it can be given to pregnant does, however, the ingredients include wormers that I refuse to use in preggoes in my herd.

Were she mine, I'd give the oral Panacur and an ivermectin injection. then in 10 days I'd repeat it. But I live in the U.S. and don't know if you can get injectable ivermectin where you are.

What I can find online says that abimectin is stronger than ivermectin, but I don't know how much stronger, or if it is as safe for preggoes. If you can't get ivermectin injectable, then you may consider the abimectin. I'm operating in deep ignorance here, so I just don't know.

Your girl is far enough along in the pregnancy that fetus development is fairly good...

If you can find the injectable ivermectin, I can find the dosage for you. That will help the surface parasites AND the internal parasites, and the dose is small, so it is fairly safe but the follow-up is very important to do, any time you are dealing with wormer, do the follow-up.

In my ignorance, this is the best I can offer. Panacur and ivermectin, or MAYBE the Panacur and abimectin.

OH, and COPPER! What copper can you give her?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
After reading the MSDS, I would ask a veterinarian about use in a pregnant goat.
Just be sure to dose correctly.

Reactions: joshua______

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
She is at the safe zone for worming with wormers which are safe for late term preggo's only.
If anemic, injecting Ivomec cattle 1% SQ at 1 cc per 40 lbs may help. So check her eyelids first.
If anemic, give some red cell orally.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Thanks, but you are leaving some important info quiet. Do you know it is lice, rather than some other surface parasite, do you have ivermectin, and what copper form can you give?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea sorry I don't know if it's lice or other parasites how can I tell? I don't have ivermectin and what do you
mean copper? does that mean like salt blocks wirh copper In them?
Thanks, but you are leaving some important info quiet. Do you know it is lice, rather than some other surface parasite, do you have ivermectin, and what copper form can you give?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts