The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members. I’m new to this forum and also new to goat pregnancy. Looking for advise on my pregnant goat.
She appeared to be in heat and was placed with our buck on February 24th which would make her due late July. Second time being pregnant. However today I noticed her babies have dropped and her vulva is puffy. She also has a fairly full but not tight udder. Her back end appears very loose. I am not sure how to check ligaments as I am fairly new to goat ownership. Wondering what thoughts are based on these photos? Is it possible she might have been bred the month prior and still came into standing heat the following cycle?

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Has she had any discharge? It’s hard to tell based on photos how much longer a doe has. All does are different. Generally speaking, we know she is getting close by common signs like swollen back side, filled udder, discharge, loose ligaments, etc. However, some does may exhibit some signs more prominently than others which fools us often. To me, her right side doesn’t look very large, which could just be the photo, the way she carries, or possibly she just has a single. I’d say stick with your original breed date unless you think there is a possibility she got accidentally bred earlier.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discharge is the best key to when she'll give birth. When theres goopy discharge hanging down you know the day has arrived. Some does will get a full udder a couple weeks before hand, others wont have their udder come in till the day before. This year two of my does didnt have their udder come in till the day they gave birth and my third had her udder come in about a week before, but her udder got shiny that morning. All goats are different but some start showing signs a while before. I'd just stick to the date you have but keep a close eye out for discharge and just have everything ready to go for her to give birth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How are things?
How are things?
She is toying with me big time. Ugh. On Saturday she was pawing, getting up and down, appeared to have a few ‘contractions’ (arching her back). Her udder looks like it’s about to explode and her lady bits are so loose I swear if she sneezed a baby would come out. But hours later everything stopped. Her back end is super loose and her hips are sticking out quite a bit. I can’t feel any kicks from the side anymore, only if I go in front of the udder but that was Friday. Since then she won’t let me check. I tried on the ligaments but not confident I know what I am doing there. Guess she is really following the code as they say…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing yet. She’s showing a lot of signs that make me think we should be progressing (still discharging, separating from the herd, hips sticking out) but nothing major. Yesterday I though for sure since she was super restless and even pressing her head against a wall for about an hour off and on. But then everything seems to stop and she goes back to being regular Elsa. So confusing lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any updates?
Not much. She’s still having discharge, it’s milky white colour but not a lot of it. I noticed today she is being oddly affectionate towards my other female which is very strange for her. This is what she looks like this morning.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts