Preggers or just a wide load?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Nov 2, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    This is Dancer, shes a 9 month old SannaBoer. Do ya think shes pregnant or just fat? These were taken this morning before I handed out their hay. IF shes been bred it would be by the only buck we had. This would be Jacob, the one we put down last week. This would also be the only offspring he has sired. While it would be nice to have some of his kids, this doeling is on the small side and I had not intended on breeding her until she was 16 months. Shes been this "large" for a couple months and there is no sign of an udder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    may be bloat ...there rumen is on the left side....she is extended more on that side....try giving her some backing soda....

Something is bloating her....

Is she acting normal?

Are you graining her? If so...how much and what are you giving ?
    What kind of hay is she getting..?

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They all get Bermuda grass hay and at the moment they don't get grain. She doesn't act bloated, acts totally normal in fact. For some strange reason I got my thinking backwards and was thinking the rumen was on the right. That was the reason for the check. I am thinking shes just fat and healthy. Will check her for worms again though. She was wormed the 24Th so its been almost 10 days.

Edited to add: Can you feel the rumen move on both sides? I tried the bouncing thing to check and something moved on the right side??? Rumen or something growing. OH, when I did the bounce I checked the left side for bloat, just in case, its all squishy and normal feeling. Not hard and the rumen is moving around like its supposed to. I am really hoping shes just a little overweight cause I can't feel any of her bones unless I really dig for them. Overweight through the winter wouldn't be a bad thing would it?

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    usually bouncing is done during labor...after the first kids are out to check if there are more...

hows her udder?
    Pam has a good point since its on the left...It could be bloat. Check to make sure it isnt hard.

:thumb:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Shes not hard anywhere, shes soft and squishy :) . Shes not acting funny, not off feed, not lithargic, shes just a normal acting lil goat. Shes also been this size for several months so I am pretty sure its not bloat. She has baking soda but doesn't use it. Eyes are pink too.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Her udder is flat on her belly.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks like a hay belly to me

8. Could also be worms. Have you checked her eyes or had a fecal done to be safe? I had a doe like this once and wormed her good, gone.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK its been almost a month since the original pictures were taken. Dancer doesn't show any signs of worms although I did find 2 in her fecal today. Her belly is still the same size if not a little larger. She is still getting only hay and water and she is NOT bloated. Her udder is still flat on her belly, and I can still see movement on both sides( not like babies kicking more like waves). Only time will tell but I think shes just a little chubby. I will keep you posted if there is any udder development.