Preggers or just fat and happy? (pics)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by TheRidingLibrarian, Jun 26, 2009.

1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Fellsmere, Florida
    Hi everyone! Was in last month asking about how to tell if a goat could be pregnant and you guys gave me great advice. Did not however, get the blood test. Just figured we'd keep and eye on her and see.

FYI, we got her around February 20th. She was supposedly purchased as a pet at an auction by the seller and he had been keeping her with an intact male goat. He claimed the reason he was selling her was because the male goat bullied her and would not let her eat. Though that part is obviosuly true (underweight) I also think he is really just a dealer, not that there is anything wrong with that.

These are pics of her taken tonight. I kinda thought that one side of her looked more bulgy than the other for a while, but there is no disputing that now. I also noticed for the first time tonight that one teat/bag (for give my ignorance) is larger than the other. As of a week or so they were both even, and pulled up to her body.

She has gained a lot of weight since we got her, but she was a bit underweight when we got her so, that is not proof. Her coat has recently really bloomed and she is very shiney. Her spirits/attitude are very good as always.

So what do you all think? FYI, the side photo is taken from her "fat" side.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that is her left side which is where their rumen is (their stomach) so that is natural to larger then the other side.

Starting a bag usualy happends about 1-2 months before kidding. It will get real full and tight.

Check some of the "stickies" at the top of this forum for information on the birthing and if you have questions just ask

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... she is forming a bag...so you are going to have babies..... :wink: :greengrin:

4. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Fellsmere, Florida
    OK, so we're all freaking out over the reality of Nelly actually being pregnant! Up until this weekend, she had not had her own stall, she just bunked with the horse when it was raining and ate outside of the barn area (so the horse would not steal her food, doesn't stop the pig though.)

However she now has her very own stall complete with a 8' by 4.5 ' converted dog house for shelter. The recycled dog house is big enough for me get in and clean, help with the birthing if need be, etc. I have started keeping her in her stall at night, and she can eat all her meals in peace now. And most importantly, she has somewhere safe to have the baby.

So questions questions.....will start reading/researching thet site NOW. But I guess the big ones are:
    1. What exactly and how much should she be eating, grain-wise? She has free-choice coastal hay (at night) and grass and weed pasture all day. Previously I had been throwing out half a scoop (from those 2 qt (??) squarish horse scoops) in two piles for her and the pig to share. I feed a 10% all livestock sweet feed.

Well, actually that is the only big right now. All the birthing process stuff I am sure I can find elsewhere on the site or on the web.

Thanks guys! We are really freaked out/happy/excited/worried for our little Princess Grace Nelly. :)

5. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :cool:

10% is not nearly enough protein for a goat, and all stock sweet feed doesn't provide what a goat needs. I would look for a 16-18% goat formula for her, esp given that she is probably going to kid. You don't want her to have malnourished newborns. My basic rule of thumb for maintainance is 3 1/2 lbs of feed per 100 lbs of goat, but in the last month of pregnancy I double that, sometimes more and also add alfalfa pellets for extra calcium - I feed like this as long as they're lactating. Be sure to provide some loose goat minerals to her as well. Now would be a good time to get her UTD on C/D & T boosters.