The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!!

I am normally a Pygmy addict and this is my one and only nubian. She is supposed to be due June 29th but she donesnt seem "developed" enough to be due then. THis will be her first freshening. I know that Nubians are dairy goats so she should have a HUGE udder, right?

She has an udder but its MUCH smaller than I anticiated. do nubian FFs usually fill after? or what?

I know this one is really blurry but I thought I would post everything I had to get a better "diagnosis"

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!!!

CJ

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Re: Preggy Nubian Question

I would say she has another 3 weeks?? But I did have a doe (nigerian) kid the other day. She had the smallest bag I have ever seen for being just a couple days away from kidding! Couldn't even believe it. It filled up VERY QUICKLY the night before she was due, just completely ballooned! Your doe doesn't seem real puggy in the back end though?? Hmmm, not sure on this one! By the way,,,beautiful girl you have!! Love those spots!

·
Registered
326 Posts

The first time I bred my Nubian, Brandy, I thought the same when it came her time to kid, her udder was way to small, about 2 weeks after she kidded she had a nice full udder.
I wouldnt worry
she is beautiful by the way

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

WOW to be due June 29tyh, she looks like my FF did when she dropped a beautiful baby. I would say keep a eye on her and you never know. ALL GOATS ARE DIFFERENT. I would say only one baby for sure. My FF got the bag after she delivered.
What does her ligs feel like? Are they loose at all? I never felt my girls because I did not realize she was that close.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

AlaskaBoers said:
when would her due date be?
June 29th.

sweetgoats said:
What does her ligs feel like? Are they loose at all? I never felt my girls because I did not realize she was that close.
Hre ligaments feel deep down and a perhaps a little lax. I have been checking her ligaments twice a day everyday and I have not really felt any change for about 2 weeks. This girl is not all that friendly so catching her is a real pain but I know that if I ever want to catch her in labor, I have to check those ligaments!!!

I have another doe (pygmy) due July 8th whose bag is about the same size. She looks ready....but she isnt a FF either.

IDK this one is racking my brain!!

CJ

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts

did you breed her or did you purchase her bred? Sometimes a breeder will give you the first due date and forget that there was this possible second.

But I agree with what the others said - she could easily bag up quickly before kidding or after. Not all goats are the same

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

She was bred here. I am (or was) 100% sur eof her due date but since she hasnt developed normally, I am begining to doubt my date...........these girls like to mess with me!!

LOL!
CJ

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

We also run our buck with the herd so I guess you can never be 100% sure unless you actually "set up" the breeding like people have to when they seperate their does and bucks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

YEs, Stacey, I suppose your right. Its always a possibility. My mom and I are very much into our goats. We go downto the barn to feed or play 4 or 5 times a day. While its unlikely we missed her comming back into heat, there is a slight chance.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts

I don't doubt it. I am sure you are a good "butt checker" like I am :ROFL:

But you know the drill, watch her like a hawk till her due date passes and then :hair: till she decides to kid a few weeks later :GAAH:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

LOL! EXACTLY!!! And the fact that she is an FF and I dont know her "normals" doesnt help.

I have another pygmy doe due the 8th that is awesomely predictable. She ALWAYS kids betwee noon and 3 pm on day 148 with twins. Her ligaments are always gone about 10 hrs before kidding and the discharge is alway present about an hour from kidding. Her udder explodes over night and her face gets really fat. She always stays in the barn the day of and talks A LOT! She never has any problems kidding **knock on wood**

I wish all my girls were as predictable and easy as she is.
CJ

·
Registered
4,251 Posts

More than once I've seen my first fresheners(dairy) come in with not a lot of milk. Usually with first fresheners they tend to really come into milk about 2 weeks after kidding. FF are not near as engourged before kidding as the older does are. And every goat is different, she may get really big right before she kids.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

SO! Just a little update, no kids yet. Udder has grown a little bit. Ligs this morning were practically gone...they hardened back up again....then when we put them up for the night....practically gone aga in!!! This girl is wacky!!! :hair:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts

make sure you dont' check her ligaments right after she peed or pooped as they will feel soft at that point. Wait a bit and then check again.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

As of 12:30 am, we have no ligaments and a little discharge. It was the same when I checked her this morning. Her legs look really posty but other than that, no other signs of distress. Im officially on baby watch with her............ :pray:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Preg Nubian-HELP please!

I need a little help!
Splash had a single boy at 1:50 this afternoon. He is beautiful. I am concerned because it is 4:15 and the little boy has not been able to stand yet. Not even close. I gave him some artificial colostrom at 3:40 and then 10 minutes later mom laid down and I put him to her udder and he sucked for a good minute. Mom is very testy and will not allow me to milk her without a huge fight and I have no help right now to do it. I feel comfortable that he has enough nourishment right now, but concerned because he is not standing. He will try for a few seconds, give up, then lay down to rest. I set him up on all fours and his back legs straighten and then buckle.
Does anyone know how long Nubian/Pygmy cross kids take to stand? Pygmys stand within 45 minutes to an hour. Is this normal for this breed?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts

He should have been up looking for that teat just like any newborn kid would do...it's great that he did eat but check his legs out and make sure they feel normal, I've not ever had a need to use it but a selenium gel might be in order for the little guy. Congrats on his birth and I hope you can get a pic for us.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I think this boy is very over cooked (but then again I dont know nubians) His testicles have already dreopped and his horns are more deleloped than usual. His teeth are also pink? Any ideas? Almost as if they are blood shot. The muscles in his legs are shaking a little. He responds to pain and touch in all 4 feet and along the back so I dont think its a nuerological problem. Is it possible that his muscles are not yet developed wnough for his weight? We gave him nutridrench at 6:00 (which has selenium in it) and we will be nursing out mom tonight (more people) and bottle feeding him. What else can I try to give him to get him to stand/walk??

1 - 20 of 71 Posts