pregnancy questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by SDK, Jun 27, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hey i've had my nigies for 4 or 5 years and i've never had a problem with telling if they are preggers or not. this year i had two does gain like they were pregnant, but they weren't so i rebred them and now i am unsure if they are preggers again. how doyou use the "pooch test" i mean what exactly are you looking for? i usually go by weight gain and measurements but after they both didnt take the last time, i don't know what to do. could an xray work to determine pregnancy? :shrug:

sarah

SDK Nigerians and Boers
    http://www.superduperkids.bravehost.com

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If by xray you mean ultra sound, ultra sounds usually only work when the goat is 60 days pregnant at least. They do have a blood pregnancy test from a company in ID called BioPyrn, their website is http://www.biotracking.com/

for pooch test, its really hard to explain, if you have pictures of their rear end that would help.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome to The Goat Spot :wave:

As to the pooch test -- you want to look to see if the anus tucked up under the tail - if it isn't that along with an elongated vulva and wrinkles usually indicates pregnancy.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!! Stacey explained it...but piccies really help and a breed date too if you have one :thumb:

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok, well i'll try to get pictures of that tomorrow. one doe is due august 3-6 for the 150 day mark. the other is due mid september

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome to TGS!

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    thanks.. i was looking for somewhere wher i could talk goat to people all the time.. my entire family is sick of it.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hehe mine too --- why do you think I started this :angel2:

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha ok i got the pictures:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Aurora I say very good possibility

Mac - no

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think i have to have the vet look at mac. this is the 3rd time not being pregnant if she isn't.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you seen her go into heat? how old is she? has she ever been pregnant before? Have you seen her be bred and she just isn't settling? have you tried different bucks, yes does can like different bucks :roll:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    she hasn't come in heat. she's 2 and 3 months. this would be her first time kidding. i've seen her bred twice this spring and i used two different bucks.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if you saw her bred that means she stood for the buck Which is a good sign that she is going into heat. But she could have a settling problem.

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'm just waiting for my 4h leader(she's my vet) to come back down from sacramento.. sigh that woman is always somewhere! she'll help me take blood samples

do you think she's just to early along to tell if she's pregnant? i mean her mother doesn't show till the last month and a half and she doesn't fill up till around a week before.. this doe drives me nuts!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could be.

When in september would she be due?

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the 21 is 145 days

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give it another month as it can be harder to tell when they are only 2 months along

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    so i'm pretty sure that mac is pregnant. she's getting rounder and she's starting to get a little udder pooch. haha i'll try and get pictures tomorrow when my friends come to pick up their buck kid.

aurora still has me clueless as to her being preggers, she has 3 -4 weeks left and i still can't tell, but she hasn't jumped out of her pen like she usually does in heat so i have my fingers crossed

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    it could be the buck..one of mine was picky. i took her to 7 different bucks and she HATED all of them. so i tried my own buck! -and she'd fallen "in love" its incredible