Pregnancy Signs

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dixiegirl3179, Feb 14, 2011.

1. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Hey all,

Got a quick question. My does were housed with a buck for about 3-4 weeks back in October/November. Two of them are FF, and I felt their udders yesterday and it is swollen about a handful. Is this a good indication that they're pregnant? I didn't feel them before, but would it be flat with just the udders? I felt the udder of one of my 7 month old doelings, who are not bred and hers didn't have the rounded area. I also felt my 2 does who are 2nd fresheners and they also have the swelling, but I don't know their udders would stay slightly enlarged since they've had a baby before (they're the mothers of the 2 7 month old doelings). I'm guessing they're due anywhere from mid March to early April. Three of them got put in with the buck in mid October, and the other one was put in with him in late October..they were there through probably the first week of November.

2. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    If they do have udder developement that wasn't there before then I would say yes they are pregnant. I know with my 3rd freshener girls that they really dried up and didn't have anything that could be felt in the udder. One dried flatter than a pancake and the other just had a little bit of extra tissue just above her teats. Very small, but I stopped milking these girls back in the summer before breeding season ever hit, so they had a lot of dry up time. If you were milking yours for longer it's possible they could still have some areas bigger from their first freshening.

3. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    I didn't milk the does at all..I got them back when the babies were 3 months old and the babies weren't nursing at all anymore. So they haven't been nursed on or milked for at least 4 months. What I felt was a firm, rounded area, not baggy skin or anything. I hope they're pregnant. I don't want to have to wait for the buckling I'm buying to be old enough to breed and then another 5 months for some babies lol. They don't seem real big, but they still have 6 weeks or so left. I need to get my brother to hold them still so I can feel for movement.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like...she has... a month ...month and a 1/2 to go..... FF...are the easiest...to tell...congrats... :hi5:

5. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks Pam..

That timing makes perfect sense. They were first put in with the buck in mid October and removed in early November, making them due in Mid March-early April...1 to 1.5 months from now. :) Yay!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem....at least you have a better time line ...... :wink: :thumb:

7. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    So..I just went over everyone and I'm pretty sure that 5 of them are pregnant. Now all of the sudden I'm noticing big bellies on them. Only 4 of them should be pregnant...one that's pregnant is one of the 7 month olds..dang it. They were 3 months old when they stayed at my friends house. I really thought they were too young. One has no udder whatsoever, the other has enough udder that you can see it between her back legs, and she's got a big belly.
    I know there was a recent post about something similar happening to someone, so I'll go find it to see what advice was given. I'm worried about her because she's small. I wish I knew an experienced goat breeder that could help me. Ugh.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get us... a clear pooch pic ..of the young Doeling in question?

Start ...a new "pooch test" post....so it will be noticed better... she has to be at least 2 months along... but 3 is better...that way...the pro's... can tell you... if they think she is preggo.....

big belly's... isn't a indication... that they are preggo....reading the pooch area... tail up....udder as well.... will let you know more... :wink: :hug:

9. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    K..got some pics. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks