pregnancy test

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by countrygirl17, Apr 1, 2013.

1. goatygirl

goatygirl sister to goatszrule

Feb 16, 2013
    New Hempshire
    That would be a good science fair project for school I'm going to do it!

2. BCG

BCG Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Yes it would. Keep us posted on your findings.

3. goatygirl

goatygirl sister to goatszrule

Feb 16, 2013
    New Hempshire
    It wouldn't be too late trick him again!

4. cbairrogers

cbairrogers Trembling Goat Farm

Feb 22, 2013
    Colorado
    How far after exposure should one try the above method?

5. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
  6. FFA_Goats

FFA_Goats New Member

May 10, 2014
    I heard about this method from a teacher that used it on her goats really successfully. From what I understood if it foamed a lot then the goat was pregnant if it didn't foam at all or just a little around the edges the goat wasn't pregnant.

Sounds like a good project to work on... I'll have to talk to my adviser about it!

7. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    BCG...was the non-pregnant one in heat? I wonder if that would have any effect on the outcome of the test?

I think one of the urine pregnancy test works on the milk also.

8. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just saw your questions.

Mine that was not pregnant did not foam at all.

9. terri9630

terri9630 New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    New Mexico
    So.... are y'all just following your does around with cups? How are you getting your urine samples?

10. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    I know when my girls pee and what triggers them to do so. I just catch the urine when they squat :=)

11. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Usually when I first go out in the morning and wake them up, they pee as soon as they stand. That's when I try to catch mine.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Ok, the more I am reading the results of this bleach test, I may have to try it! We have one doe I am stressing about not knowing if she is bred or not. She was in heat in Sept, successfully bred, then again 22 days ago.
    Is it too soon to try, or should I wait a week? otherwise I'll end up sending in blood when enough days have passed.

13. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    okay, this is what I have found out. I did this today for my two does that were bred Sept 1. I used 1/2 cup bleach. I used a dropper to take the urine and squirt in the bleach. At first there is nothing. Keep squirting a little at a time and it will foam up big time if the doe is pg. :slapfloor:

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I did this a little while ago and am baffled lol.

The doe I have been stressing about... fizzed for several seconds, then calmed, but you could still see it in the bleach - bubbles like sprite.

However, I did a urine test from another doe/easy breeder, was bred in August & hasn't come back in heat, starting to get wider belly, etc.
    Her urine did NOTHING, it was like pouring yellow colored water in. ???
    I did notice her urine was a much darker yellow, and had a stronger smell than the 1st doe.
    But now I want to try it again lol I'm seriously... :crazy::hair:

15. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    Just my opinion, but I do think it is like a human pg test, you can't do it immediately. You have to wait a bit like maybe a month. I did it for the same doe last year, and it was a fizzle but she was indeed PG back then. This time full blown see pics from two different does. As I have mentioned, I kept squirting the urine in w/a syring and it did start to fizzle when the right ratio was obtained. Hope that helps at all.

Attached Files:

16. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    Oh, just for clarity...when I started squirting the urine in nothing happened, but the third big squirt it eruppted like a small volcano :)

Just my opinion, but I do think it is like a human pg test, you can't do it immediately. You have to wait a bit like maybe a month. I did it for the same doe last year, and it was a fizzle but she was indeed PG back then. This time full blown see pics from two different does. As I have mentioned, I kept squirting the urine in w/a syring and it did start to fizzle when the right ratio was obtained. Hope that helps at all.[/QUOTE]

Buttercupe likes this.
  17. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    You just made my day. Hilarious!:slapfloor:

18. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    It's just 2 ccs. That's not much at all!

19. ladyharley

ladyharley Senior Member

Sep 7, 2012
    New Mexico
    2cc's did not work for me at all. Kept adding until I saw the fizz. If one uses 2cc, it might not react and give a false negative. I just measured how much urine I put in the 1/2 cup of clorox and it was almost 1teaspoon, a bit more than 3/4 teaspoon (almost 5ml)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Buttercupe likes this.
  20. Niginewbie

Niginewbie Active Member

Oct 27, 2013
    CA
    Is the difference in the reactions pretty obvious?