pregnancy tests?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Dec 13, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Are there any cheap pregnancy tests for goats? I read something about a blood test

2. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hi.
    Yes you can pull blood and have it sent it to be tested for pregnancy.

Alot of people use this site

http://www.biotracking.com/

It will tell you all about it.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Amos is right on target. I think it's about $7.00 a test, and it's very accurate.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They are 7.50 a test, and right now they are doing testing twice a week as this is their "peak" season.

You can mail regular priority mail. So it is about 5.00 to mail it.

Draq the blood into a red top tube. You will need minimum 2cc of blood. Label the tube well. wrap tube/s in a papertowel, place in ziplock. Then place that ziplock in another with the paperwork and payment. That's it! Real easy!!

If you have more questions, please ask - I am a Pro at this stuff! hehe :greengrin:

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The other thing you have to do when packaging it is to rubberband the tubes together (if you are sending more than one).

I sent blood to biotracking a few weeks ago to see if Lyla and Claribelle were pregnant and they both were! :) They're showing it now too. . . . So, it is a very good system. Heard back exactly 8 days after sending the blood in.

6. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Do ya'll draw the blood or have the vet do it? I bought my two does "covered" and would love to find out if they are PG. Also, would this lab do CAE and TB testing? Should I TB test if I'm not going to pasturize the milk?

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They do also do CAE testing, but I do not think that they do TB. I personally have my CAE, CL, and Johnes testing done down the road from them at WADDL - as they are a State Diagnostic Lab and regulated by the state - so you are sure to have true results. And there is doctors on staff there.

I draw all my own blood (with hubby's help) and send it in - there is no need to pay a vet their crazy fees, for something that I can do myself.

I personally use my milk raw - so I am not sure if it would need TB testing or not... I only do the 3 tests listed above annually!

Olivia - I did not rubberband them together. I just wrap them in papertowels to keep them secure.

I draw all of my blood on Sunday night, mail Monday, and have the test results back for Pregnancy or from WADDL for labs by the end of the week. Never more then 5 days from blood draw date to result date. If it was any longer - I think I would :hair:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I was following the instructions on the website. It said it rubberband the tubes together, then wrap in lots of paper towels (enough that if the tubes were to break, it would soak up the blood), then put it in ziplock bag, and in a box, (not an envelope). Just what the site said, so it's how I did it.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh, hehe! I never read the site - I am just to used to do it from the clinics I worked in... hehehe! Guess maybe I should learn to read. You would think with me being in college, I would know that~ LOL!

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, yeah. I am all about directions and have to do things just right. I probably read the site over and over again and double-checked the box twice! I was so worried that if I didn't do it right, they wouldn't do the test. :oops: :roll: