The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been trying to get my one of my does bred but I assumed she was not coming into heat because it wasn't cool enough yet. Then over the last few weeks I've noticed her right side getting larger ( like it does when shes pregnant) and felt it and it seemed like their was something hard like a head ect. I've only had my buck for a month and the does are only connected to his by one tiny little foot section so I wasn't worried about it!
Anyway what kind of different tests are there for pregnancy???? Are milk tests pretty accurate? Because i'd prefer not to have to draw blood again!
Thanks,
@healthyishappy!

@Spades, @bisonviewfarm, @NigerianDwarfOwner707?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At only a month you wouldn't feel a head the baby would be to small :). But if you want to send a milk test to double check you definitely could. I've only used milk test once but from what I've read it's pretty accurate. For reliable results it's pretty much milk blood and ultrasound.
And ultrasounds are expensive, right???
I was think the baby would still be pretty small but I felt something!
I think i'll do the milk test, I need to know if shes pregnant before I try to breed her.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
And ultrasounds are expensive, right???
I was think the baby would still be pretty small but I felt something!
I think i'll do the milk test, I need to know if shes pregnant before I try to breed her.
They can be depending on the vet. Here it's $60 if I drive them to town some people get them cheaper. The baby would only be around 1/2" long so definitely can't feel it quite yet .

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Ultrasounds I believe need to be done between 40-60 days I think. One month is def too short time to feel a baby. Even for them to get big. Mine started really "popping" about 2 months this year, but more so 3 months. I do have one doe that is HUGE at 3 months along right now. She did seem larger about 1.5 months. She's had quints and quads in the past so I'm wondering if she's got a litter in there this time.

You can do both milk and blood tests. We do blood here and they are $3 each. Accurate after 30 days.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Well she came into heat today. Of course right after I post this thread! So I think that means she was definitely not bred!
Anyway I definitely think she got bred today! Im sure glad because I like to know when they are going to kid!

Thanks all!
Nice when that happens before you waste the money on a test :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts