The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last year, I thought I had this taken care of. I have a FF boer doe that came down with pregnancy toxemia Monday with a partial vaginal prolapse three weeks out from her due date (the other 4 pregnant does are healthy and active). I've got the prolapse handled, and I have the ketones almost to zero. She's eating small amounts of grass hay and alfalfa. I'm still fighting edema in her lower legs so her mobility is very limited and painful. My biggest worry is she is not drinking water. This is new from last year since the does began drinking water on their own once the ketones were too zero. Suggestions?

Already drenching ~20-30 ounces of water. Doe is with at least twins, she's huge. Vet has already visited twice.

·
14,734 Posts
I'm so sorry :( I understand your frustration. Most of the ones we've had with toxemia wouldn't drink and that was frustrating. I am not sure there is much you can do other than offering different kinds of water, drenching or doing IV fluids (or SQ if you can't do them IV).
Have you tried offering her any of these? Warm Molasses water, Bluelite, Goat electrolytes from TSC or horse electrolyes?
We have a doe that last Feb had toxemia with triplets, and loved the electrolytes from TSC, but she liked it if it was really strong.
I wonder if she would like something like Gatorade?
I know drenching is a looooong process, I always dreaded it.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree with the electrolytes. The more they drink the electrolytes the more they will want (usually) if this doesn’t work I would have your vet put a IV in and start giving fluids. It will be the fastest way to get her hydrated and the easiest to keep her that way.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I had a doe that got super sick after delivery, would eat a bit didnt want to drink enough, so I put a big squirt of red cell in a bucket of water next to her bucket of clean water, she drank that whole 5 gal bucket every day (she was anemic, sick and on antibiotics/lots of meds so red cell was good for her) with your doe I would try something to make it sweet, even non sweet tooth goats sometimes like the sweet, but always offer clean water as well so she has a choice, that way you can tell if she likes it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts