The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do goats go into heat?
How old should my doe be before I breed her?
How do I know she's pregnant?

She is a 6 month old small mytonic goat

·
1,172 Posts
Does have to be in 'estrus' to be bred. Happens once a month or so.
Some breeds go into estrus each month thru the whole year, others are 'seasonal' breeders (meaning: they go into estrus only during a certain time of the year)
Estrus can be as short as 8 hours, and as long as 3 days, I believe the average is around 24 hours. (My own doe's estrus seems to only last 10-13 hours, or, that's how long she appears to be 'receptive' to the male).

Gestation is anywhere from 145 to 155 days (Average is 150), that's about 5 months.

----- Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! :) ------

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Most doelings start cycling at around 6 months of age, although some can be earlier and some later because of size. Generally speaking, doelings should not be breed until they are at least 80 lbs. I don't breed mine until they are around a year old because it seems to give them time to mature more and I have fewer problems with them freaking out following kidding. You will know she is bred if she fails to come back into heat 21 days or so following breeding.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Most wait until the doe is a minimum of 8 months old... I have Nigerians so I like to wait until they are over a year old due to size and general psycologic development.
Most goats will have heats every 18-21 days and most are blatant with the signs... tail flagging, discharge, extremely vocal, mounting other does etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts