The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Vet just was out, even he had a hard time getting it out. It was a boy, he didn't make it. He was fully developed but thought bloodflow got cut off with all the pushing. Mom got some antibiotics and a shot for pain and inflammation. She's already up walking around.
I'm So sorry, sometimes it happens with singles like that. I lost a doeling in the same circumstances last year. Give mom lots of TLC, hot molasses water will help her too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. Mom definitely had to go through a lot. I'm glad I came home and immediately checked on her. The babies position didn't match anything in the pdf that was shared, so I realized she was in trouble. Poor baby is going to get a viking funeral tonight. I'm not gonna throw him in the trash. I don't have any molasses, but I guess i'm gonna have to keep stuff like that on hand. I did bring her some warm water and she drank in between contractions. She's definitely gonna be sore for awhile. She looked to be laying down, resting comfortably before I came inside.

Since she's producing milk now, do you think i could maybe get my week and a half old bottle baby on her? Have any of you guys successfully done that? I guess i have 3 Does producing milk right now. I don't even know what i'd do with all that milk if i were to milk them, aside from feeding it to the little boy.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. Mom definitely had to go through a lot. I'm glad I came home and immediately checked on her. The babies position didn't match anything in the pdf that was shared, so I realized she was in trouble. Poor baby is going to get a viking funeral tonight. I'm not gonna throw him in the trash. I don't have any molasses, but I guess i'm gonna have to keep stuff like that on hand. I did bring her some warm water and she drank in between contractions. She's definitely gonna be sore for awhile. She looked to be laying down, resting comfortably before I came inside.

Since she's producing milk now, do you think i could maybe get my week and a half old bottle baby on her? Have any of you guys successfully done that? I guess i have 3 Does producing milk right now. I don't even know what i'd do with all that milk if i were to milk them, aside from feeding it to the little boy.
If you have some goo or placenta left... wipe some on the kid and see what she does. She might take him. If not you can put her on the milkstand and let the kid nurse. It might take a few days.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I was trying a bit but poor girl is really sore. Im gonna try to leave her alone until tomorrow and I'll try again if there's anything left
You can always try taking the kid in to her and see how she acts with it. I would do it when it is time for a bottle so the kid is hungry and more apt to try latching on. If the dam is ok... i would stay and watch very closely for a good long while just to make sure nothing crazy happens. I might even put the kid in a crate when i left so it would be safe but the dam could see and smell and be nosy at the kid.

I have seen where people put a dab vicks rub on the does nose or vanilla. I tried that once and it did not work for me. The idea is the doe cannot smell the right smell she is looking for and by the time the scent wears off the kid has nursed and she is ok with it.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Milk the doe and save the colostrum...and in a couple days bottle feed little boy the does Milk. Tomorrow your doe might be more receptive to having him around. Let him try to latch on, if that doesn’t work, After he’s had a couple bottles of her milk he’ll smell like her.Present him butt first to her. That also might work.
She’s going to be sore, use preparation h on her lady parts it will help with the pain and swelling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Finally this little boy understands how to latch onto a bottle without me having to open his mouth. lol Only took a week and a half, but it's probably more my fault than his. I need to finish that stanchion or i'm not gonna be able to milk anyone! Wish i had more daylight when i get off work. This little boy has been rabid on eating the last couple days. I feed him the amount he's supposed to have - about 8 oz a day, around 4 or so feedings, but he's starting to act like he's still starving, so i'm trying to add a little more, but not so much that he's all bloated after. For breakfast and lunch, he had around 2.5 oz each, 4oz for dinner, was still hungry. Just had another 3 oz, 3 hours later, still "starving". Do you guys ever up their intake when they act like this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I kind of capitalized on Priscilla still being sore and was able to milk her fairly easily. (rude af, i know) I didn't push my luck too much, but I was able to get 10 oz from her. That's a success story if i've ever heard one. lol I was trying to get little boy to latch on, but not having very much success. I'm hoping we can get little boy growing and maybe catch up to his sister/cousin a bit. They are bouncing all around and climbing and he's just not there yet. We'll get that baby grown! I'm sure having this milk will be much better for him. She seemed like she was ready to be milked. Is that something that needs to be done anyway? I guess she'd dry up eventually, but we obviously need the milk. I have 3 does producing right now. I wasn't planning on having a milking operation, but....lol. I guess i'll have to do some reading to see what everyone does and how.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts