The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
Congested udder or mastitis.

Start heat packs, massage and milk, 2 x a day or more.

If you can get some milk out, if is is clumpy or doesn’t look right, it may be mastitis, you can test for it. Treat her with today if she has mastitis.

You will have to get that milk out of there. If she is hard or really tight. It will take work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I couldn't get much out at all last night. I milked her a couple days ago and got some. I'll definitely work on her today and see if i can get her flowing. With everything I've been doing, it really concerns me about the welfare of goats who have much less attentive owners.

Thank you and everyone else for your help. ♥

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Athena is such an a-hole to catch. lol Took me like 30 min maybe - it's like a horrible game of keep-away. It feels like a big but soft lump that's in the middle and like the milk doesn't make it down to the nipple on both sides. I got a little out of her and massaged for awhile. While I was working on one side, little boy was working on the other nursing. She does have the other kid on her 24/7, so hope that helps a little. I think he was able to get some. lol Pretty excited he's doing that. Donno if it'll help them become more accepting of him or not. I don't have time to work on her again until I get off work today. I did do a hoof trim for the first time, she wasn't thrilled about it, but i got them trimmed down decently, and they look a lot better. Next trim should be much less work.

Priscilla milks very easily - i got milked her empty on both sides. I got about 10 oz. I dont know what normal production is supposed to be, but she hasn't bagged up like the other two moms have. I'm hoping if i keep milking her down that she might produce more? I believe she's a Nigerian. I got her back feet trimmed - they were grown together on one side. she wasn't tolerating anymore trimming after I got her backs done. lol they aren't perfect, but much improved. First time trimming, so I didn't wanna cut too much off.

I redid part of my milking station aka Pillory. lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
She is soft feeling in the udder? Is it a meaty udder?
It is an area which takes up space and she has less milk volume from it.

You say you got some milk out? How does it look?

If she has her kids nursing from both sides, are the kids full?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I didn't get much milk out, but it looked fine from what i could tell. Color was fine, didn't notice any bad smell. Normal consistency. Maybe a couple ounces? It feels like maybe a water balloon? It's not hard, it just feels like a big round area right in the middle of the udder, maybe softball size. It doesn't feel as full/firm as it did Saturday. I'll see how she is when i get home after work. I doubt i'll be able to catch her on my lunch break. She has one kid on her, that seems fine. My little boy nursed on her and I think he got some out, but I couldn't get much out at all, working both sides. My other doe doesn't have much bagged up, but i can easily work her milk out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I didn't get much milk out, but it looked fine from what i could tell. Color was fine, didn't notice any bad smell. Normal consistency. Maybe a couple ounces? It feels like maybe a water balloon? It's not hard, it just feels like a big round area right in the middle of the udder, maybe softball size. It doesn't feel as full/firm as it did Saturday. I'll see how she is when i get home after work. I doubt i'll be able to catch her on my lunch break. She has one kid on her, that seems fine. My little boy nursed on her and I think he got some out, but I couldn't get much out at all, working both sides. My other doe doesn't have much bagged up, but i can easily work her milk out.
If she's really nervous, she may not be letting her milk down for you. Massaging her udder will help with that, as will continuing to catch and milk her, teaching her it's not so scary, after all. If you wanted, you could buy a California mastitis test (CMT). It's a good thing to have on hand so you can do a quick check if you feel something funky might be going on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I didn't know that was a thing, as far as letting her milk down. haha - She's not too happy by the time I catch her, that's for sure. I picked up the kid that's on her full time and she is a CHONK, so she's obviously not missing meals. lol Little boy, now called Frank, has been ravenous, as his appetite seems to be growing. I'm letting him nurse on his mom and my other Doe for his meals, when possible. I left him with the herd after lunch, as he'd been spending more time with them over the last couple days. I'll try massaging again and i always have goat feed for them while i'm trying to work. Someone is supposed to be helping me tonight, so we'll see. It really feels like there is milk there, its just not getting down to the nipple, either her witholding or something else going on. I'll order the CMT test, looks like Amazon has them.

Do you guys have to chase your does down and force them into the milking stanchion?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I only got maybe an ounce or two from her. The right side isn't as big at all. It mostly seems in her left udder now. It feels like a testicle. Lol. I did use peppermint oil and massaged a few min, get a little milk out, rinse and repeat. My other doe that lost her baby isn't producing much at all, but she milks easily. Maybe i should give her a couple days.

I gave both 10cc of Jumpstart, see if it helps.

I ordered the CMT on amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sometimes, kids will prefer to nurse out of one side, resulting in an udder that produces lots of milk on one side and not much on the other. That could be a possibility here. Continuing to massage and milk out that hard side will be a good thing.
I let my does raise their kids last year, while milking what the kids didn't take 2x a day. Even though my girls are gentle and already used to eating on the milk stand, it was still a bit of a struggle to get one of them to let her milk down for me. She didn't like me 'stealing' from her babies. It took a week or two before she settled down.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts