PREGNANT AND SWOLLEN "BACKSIDE"

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by KFOWLER, Oct 27, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    One of the pregnant does had been laying down for awhile...kept looking as I walked by the window. Saw what I thought was a push/contraction so I went out and her backside is very swollen, no streaming. I took this picture, couldnt get in very close...sorry. When she stood back up her vaginal/anal area went back to normal. Could she be having contractions even without he streaming that usually occurs??

sorry pic isn't very close...didn't want to disturb her.

Attached Files:

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I really can't tell from the pic, but could it be a possible prolapse? Do you know her due date?

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When they get farther in their pregnancy and have multiples and / or big kids - when they lay down their hiney area tends to push out and maybe even open a little.

Streaming does not always happen, however, when contracting - typically they will somewhat lean/roll onto one side and then they will stick that back leg out with the contraction and soetimes even put their head up in the air and look like they are staring off. Then when the contraction is over - they kind of go back to "normal". Also looking at the back legs to see if they are "posty". Do a search on posty and you will find pics of posty does. Their back legs go to more looking like peg legs and walking on their tip toes.

Can you check her ligaments at her tail head?

5. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    They are fainters and her legs look pretty posty all of the time. I will try to check her ligaments. When she did what I thought was a contraction...her legs were out straight and she had her head stretched out and up...if that makes any sense!!??? I am off work today so will keep an eye on her in between laundry and cleaning house...fun, fun!!!

Thank You!!

6. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    When my Nigerians are truly in labor they will lie down, and when they have a contraction they will stiffen their back legs (sometimes pushing/bracing against the stall wall) and they will stretch their neck, roll their head back, and usually holler a bit too.
    Usually there are babies within an hour at that point... atleast for us. But I think for some odd reason all of our doe's have very quick and easy labors. I know another farm where their doe's will go on with contractions like that for hours, even the whole day, before popping out kids! Doesn't seem to work that way here, not sure why? Mine must eat grease for lunch before kidding cause the kids here come flying right out! :p

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    From the pic...even magnifying my screen to get a closer look, is that ball under her tail as big as I think it is? It looks to be the size of a cantalope?
    Now, is it a pink wet colored ball or is it the same color as the skin around her vaginal area?
    If it's the same color as her skin, she really shouldn't have a protrusion like that unless there is a kid there coming in a bad presentation. Not all does will stream during labor....please check her if you can because if that is a stuck kid she's trying to push out, you need to help.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz ....you need to wash up and check her...if she is prolapsing and the she is in labor ....the kids can't get out without ...cleaning...gently pushing the prolapse back in first....the prolapsing could also be why she is contracting... it is making her push to get it out...... As Liz mentioned... you need to make sure what kind of prolapse you are dealing with......and if her kids are at the canal... wanting to come out..... if she isn't really pushing hard...it may just be the prolapsing that is making her push... I to..... made the picture bigger and it looks like a big amount is being exposed.... if it is going back in when she gets up... that is good....but she needs to be watched closely...when she is in true labor.... I also recommend after she does kid and drops her afterbirth to put a couple of boluses in her ...as when they prolapse and expose it ...there is alot of dirt ...poo ...urine...that can cause infection.... the afterbirth boluses can be bought by your vet... :hug:

9. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA

Yes it is big but only when laying down. She doesn't seem to be pushing and still is getting up and eating hay. As for the color it it primarily dark, the same color as vaginal skin but I can see pink right at the vaginal opening when she is laying down...so far she has done nothing else and I have been going out and checking frequently...and I can see her from my kitchen doors. She is getting up and down quite a bit but not being vocal/loud.

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    They do not always make noise when they are in labor.... but the discomfort and frequent standing up, laying down can be a sign. Is she pawing at the ground? I would put a leash on her and tie her against a fence or in a shed/barn etc, wash up and check her with 2 fingers to see if you can feel a kid in there or if her cervix is dialating.... if it's not dialiting your hand will hit a "wall" and won't be able to go in far. Can you get any pictures up close?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A true vaginal prolapse will not be skin colored..you will see pink and wet tissue bulging, when a doe has a large bulge the color of her skin it's likely that there is something hard enough "there" to stretch the perineal area....with a normal birth, the doe does stretch to acommodate the kid and then the vaginal opening gets bigger as you see the kid bubble approach. With the amount of stretched skin she has behind her when laying down, she likely has a kid in the canal.

12. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    So we should be expecting her to kid at any time?? At one point while she was getting up I swore I saw a kid in the opening as she strained to get up...but as soon as she is on her feet the bulge goes away.
    I think I have just been looking at goat hineys way too much today!!! :hair:

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    If there is a kid there and it has been this long you need to pull it.... she may not have the energy to push it out or it could be stuck.... have you gone inside her yet and checked if a kid is in the canal??

14. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Just came back in from checking her...she was standing in her shed, then laid down and just looked at me while she chewed her cud...guess she's doing OK. Doesn't seem in any discomfort or pain...udder still looks the same. I will go again before I go to sleep. The waiting is horrible and my neighbors that saw me all day swatting down behind my goats have probably deemed me CRAZY!!!!!

15. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA

Should I wait until she is actually trying to push before I try going in?? Never had to assist but willing to...she has 4 -6 more days before she would be considered overdue.

16. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    When I saw what I thought was a baby I was seriously second guessing myself...but it looked like a nose and maybe hoof but encased in lots of mucous membrane....I saw it then I thought noooooo I didn't just see that!!!!

17. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Have you washed up and gone in yet because everything you are saying is leading me to believe there is a kid right there and she needs help so this time dont just look, feel in there and see whats going on because if the kid is stuck you can loose the kid and your doe if things really go wrong its better to be safe then sorry.

18. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Husband and I went out and hubby checked her and said could not feel anything that felt like a kid. Just squishy. We did see a mass with blood vesels in it...possibly the umbilical cord??? I don't know?? We have only had 3 kids since we have owned goats and they were all born without any assistance and neither of those had a rear-end that looked like this does has...I pressed on the bulge and didn't feel anything firm.

I will be up through the nite checking on her.

19. wow, I really hope everything goes well for you! Please do keep us posted!

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Any news - see to me it sounds normal - just big kids or a lot of kids .... But glad you checked .... How is she doing?