Pregnant at 4 months?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Kass, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I have a 4 month old ND doe. She was at the breeders until she was 3.5 months old. At the breeders, the bucks and the does where housed together. 2 Adult bucks, and a few young bucks. It didn't even occur to me until now that she could be pregnant! I don't know how to tell, and the breeder didn't say anything about her being mounted at all. Maybe she didn't know that ND does can get pregnant at 8wks? Any advice? Is is possible she's pregnant? She's not showing any signs or anything (she wouldn't this early) its just a possibility worth checking out!

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Hi hi. Wow so young. Not your fault. Maybe do blood or ultrasound?

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Get a hold of your vet and you can get a blood test to see.
    She can prescribe lute to terminate a pregnancy if needed.

goatblessings likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Call a vet and ask for Lute for piece of mind.

5. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Is there a chance the kids would survive?

6. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Is there any chance the mom and babies would survive?

7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Maybe, but the chances that you'd loose both are also there.

If you terminate now she'll live to breed again and the earlier you terminate the pregnancy the easier it is on the doe. She really needs to be at least a year old if not 18months before you breed her for a good outcome.

8. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Do you have a good vet? I know of a good goat vet in that state if you need a reference

Kass likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

10. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I do not have a vet. I know a good goat vet is hard to find.

11. Richyboy

Richyboy New Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Minnesota
    A lot of place (people) say you should go by weight not age for breeding, I personally do this and all my new does are breed before a year (Not at 4 months though!). Also if shes to young she might naturally abort, but I definitely would not count on that.

12. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    There is a goat specific vet in Acton ME who will do phone calls and roadtrips. She is amazing

13. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I have also heard stories about mistake early breedings that turned out fine. I don't think the chances of her being pregnant are high enough to test and I would feel bad aborting the baby(s) if it might have been a decent pregnancy :( I know lots of people are saying to Lute her, but I think Im just going to wait it out, and make sure she is getting the proper nutrition. If she starts showing signs and turns up pregnant, I will definitely have a good vet on call. (goatzrule, a good vet referance would be great.)

14. Richyboy

Richyboy New Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Minnesota
    Well if she is pregnant the thing to do is make sure she weighs enough for her breed to make the pregnancy, so for now if you think she could be pregnant I would just make sure she puts on a good amount of weight, if not then you would really have to consider having them aborted, that is if shes pregnant.

15. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Not to be nosey but there was another person in ME who is in a similar situation as you are with a young doe she just bought. (Saw it on my facebook)I wonder if its the same breeder

16. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Where is the other person located? My does breeder had a small herd.
    Also, how is she dealing with the situation?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  17. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Im not sure where she is located. The doe is a little older than yours. She lost the kid and might loose the doe as well.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  18. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Hm. The doe had a sister the same age that the breeder kept. Im assuming she'll have the same problems I might have. Which is why is doesn't quite make sense why she would keep her bucks with her herd... Maybe she figured the does wouldn't come into heat? Or she didn't realize how young they can get pregnant?

19. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Its possible that she thought they were too young to breed

20. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Will YOUR DOE survive it is THE MOST IMPORTANT question you should be asking yourself. There can and will most likely be more kids but replacing a good doe is more difficult.